A creative twist on the traditional Mexican taco. This festive dish features Fresh California Avocados — perfect for Cinco de Mayo.
Crispy California Avocado Tacos-Gluten Free
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|2 1/2||Tbsp.||rice flour|
|1/2||tsp.||freshly ground black pepper|
|As needed||Rice flour, for dusting|
|1||ripe, firm, Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled and cut into 1-inch slices|
|As needed||Salt, to taste|
|As needed||Vegetable oil, for frying|
|8||(4-inch) corn tortillas, warmed|
|4||romaine lettuce leaves, torn in half|
|1||cup||Corn Relish (see make-ahead recipe below)|
|8||cilantro sprigs for garnish|
|4||Tbsp.||Extra virgin olive oil|
|2||cups||fresh corn kernels|
|As needed||Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste|
|1||red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice|
|3||green onions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced|
|1||canned chipotle chile, seeded, if desired, and minced|
|1/2||bunch cilantro, chopped|
|3||Tbsp.||red wine vinegar|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Combine rice flour, water, cumin, salt and pepper to make a batter.
- In a separate bowl, combine quinoa, poppy seeds and sesame seeds.
- Place rice flour for dusting into a third bowl.
- Season avocado liberally with salt.
- To coat avocado, dust wedges with rice flour, shaking off all excess. Dip floured wedges into batter to coat lightly and then roll each wedge in the seed mixture, pressing gently to form a complete crust. Place seeded avocados on a plate in the freezer for 20 minutes before frying.
- Heat 1 to 2 inches of vegetable oil to 375° F in a small pot. In batches, fry the coated avocado wedges in the hot oil until seeds are golden and crispy, about 2 to 3 minutes, and then transfer to a rack to drain.
- To assemble the tacos, place a piece of lettuce in the center of each warm tortilla and top with a crispy avocado wedge, a generous spoonful of Corn Relish and a cilantro sprig. Serve immediately.
- Heat half of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté corn with salt and pepper, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a mixing bowl and set aside to cool.
- Add remaining ingredients and let sit 20 minutes to blend the flavors. Serve at room temperature.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Vitamin A 2064 IU; Vitamin C 72 mg; Calcium 256 mg; Iron 5 mg; Vitamin D 0 IU; Folate 116 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.2 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 40%; Vitamin C 120%; Calcium 25%; Iron 30%