Crispy Tempura California Avocado, Yuzu-Spicy Tofu Cream
|3||cups||Fresh California Avocado*, peeled and seeded|
|3||cups||tempura batter mix|
|1 1/2||cups||club soda, chilled|
|1||Tbsp.||black sesame seeds|
|1||Tbsp.||toasted white sesame seeds|
|1 1/2||Tbsp.||sliced chives|
|1 1/2||Tbsp.||minced Thai chiles|
|Yuzu-Spicy Tofu Cream (recipe follows)|
|Oil for frying|
|Yuzu-Spicy Tofu Cream (Yield: 3 cups)|
|1 1/2||Tbsp.||chopped shallots|
|1 1/2||tsp.||chopped Thai chile|
|3/4||cup||seasoned rice vinegar|
|2 1/4||cups||drained tofu|
|1 1/2||Tbsp.||lime juice|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
Yuzu-Spicy Tofu Cream:
- Heat the sesame oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots and Thai chiles and sauté until shallots are translucent. Deglaze with the rice vinegar and yuzu juice. Continue to cook to reduce by half, about 2 minutes.
- Add tofu and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat and transfer to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Stir in the lime zest and juice and chopped cilantro. Steep for 10 minutes, then pour through a fine mesh chinois or strainer. Set aside.
- Heat oil for frying to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together tempura batter mix, club soda, and crushed ice. If the mixture is too thick, thin with a little more club soda.
- Stir in the sesame seeds, chives, and Thai chiles. Add the salt.
- Cut each avocado into 12 wedges, about ½ inch thick, for a total of 24 wedges.
- Coat avocado wedges in the tempura batter and fry until golden brown, about 30-60 seconds.
- Remove from fryer and drain on a paper towel lined tray.
- Pour 2 Tbsp. of the Yuzu-Spicy Tofu Cream onto each of the 8 serving dishes. Top each with 3 pieces of crispy tempura avocados. Garnish each with micro cilantro. Serve immediately.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger avocados, adjust the quantity accordingly.