This recipe is a unique twist on a classic favorite; turning the famous avocado toast inside-out by serving the Fresh, California Avocado as the base and placing toasted breadcrumbs within. Enjoy this dish and it’s health benefits of an excellent source of dietary fiber (29% DV) and a good source of potassium (15% DV). Consuming foods rich in fiber may reduce the risk of heart disease, obesity, and type 2 diabetes. Additionally, a diet rich in potassium helps to offset some of the harmful effects that sodium has on blood pressure.
Deviled California Avocados
Total Time: 45 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 22 mcg; Vitamin C 14 mg; Calcium 65 mg; Iron 3 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 149 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.26 g
Ingredients2 slices sourdough bread 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil 2 cloves garlic, peeled 2 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled and halved 1/4 tsp. lemon juice 1/4 tsp. kosher salt 1/8 tsp. coarse black pepper 1 cup Egg Salad (see make ahead recipe below) 2 Tbsp. roasted and salted pumpkin seeds, chopped 2 tsp. nutritional yeast 1/8 tsp. smoked paprika, or more to taste 2 Tbsp. edible flowers, for garnish (optional) Egg Salad IngredientsYields: 1 cup 4 hardboiled eggs, de-shelled and chopped 2 Tbsp. chopped parsley 2 Tbsp. minced chives 1/4 tsp. lemon zest 1/2 tsp. lemon juice 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil 1/4 tsp. kosher salt, or to taste 1/2 tsp. coarse black pepper, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F and brush sourdough bread with olive oil.
- Once oven is heated, toast bread until crunchy, about 15 minutes.
- While bread is still warm, rub 1 garlic clove on each toasted bread and let cool.
- Once cool, add toasted bread to a food processor or smash in a plastic bag with a rolling pin, to create breadcrumbs. Set aside until ready to assemble.
- Season each avocado half with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Divide the Egg Salad equally between each avocado half, filling them where the seed was.
- Top the stuffed avocados by sprinkling with breadcrumbs, chopped pumpkin seeds, nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, and finish with edible wildflowers.
Serving Suggestion: Before serving, add a final squeeze of fresh lemon juice to brighten the recipe.
Beverage Pairing: To contrast the creamy texture, enjoy this recipe with a glass of freshly squeeze fruit juice.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados