Enjoy this California spin on a classic grilled fish sandwich. Vibrant, sweet and spicy with a purple cabbage, jalapeño and California Avocado slaw, it will be the hit of your backyard barbeque.
Sweet and Spicy California Fish Burger
Total Time: 30 min
Prep Time: |
Ingredients2 Tbsp. soy sauce 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced 1 Tbsp. cayenne 2 Tbsp. cumin 1 1/2 Tbsp. agave nectar 1 Tbsp. olive oil 1 large lemon, juice only 1 Tbsp. sea salt 1 Tbsp. fresh ground pepper 4 (4-oz.) Pacific halibut steaks 2 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded and peeled 2 cups finely shredded purple cabbage 1 jalapeño, stemmed, seeded and chopped 2 limes, juice only 1/4 cup mayonnaise 4 brioche burger buns
- In a medium bowl, prepare the marinade by combining the soy sauce, garlic, cayenne, cumin, agave, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Brush the marinade on each side of the fish steaks and marinade for at least one hour in the refrigerator.
- Meanwhile seed, peel and cube 1 avocado. In a medium size bowl gently combine the avocado cubes with cabbage, jalapeño, lime juice and mayonnaise; refrigerate until fish is grilled.
- Preheat the grill to medium high heat.
- Place fish on the grill for 2-3 minutes (depending on the thickness of the cut) and then flip.
- Cook for 2 minutes on the other side until golden brown and a little crispy.
- Split the brioche burger buns and lightly grill.
- Place layer of slaw on the bottom of each brioche bun, then place the fish on top of the slaw
- Cut the remaining avocado into quarters, remove the seed, peel and slice each quarter. Place avocado slices on top of the fish.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with fresh fruit, potato or pasta salad.
Beverage Pairing: Amber ale beer or off-dry Riesling.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados