The crispy, crunchy panko breading adds an incredible textural complement to the creamy, buttery goodness of the California Avocado, and when you squeeze some fresh lime juice on those fried avocado slices… oh my word! These are absolutely addictive.
Fried Avocado Dippers
Total Time: 26 min
Prep Time: |
Ingredients1/2 cup vegetable oil 2 large eggs 1 cup panko breadcrumbs 1/2 cup all-purpose flour 2 ripe Fresh California Avocados, halved, peeled, seeded and sliced into 16 slices As needed Kosher salt, to taste Easy Homemade Ranch Sauce (see make-ahead recipe below) 1/2 cup mayonnaise 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt 1/4 cup buttermilk 1/2 tsp. garlic salt 1/2 tsp. dried dill 1/2 tsp. dried chives As needed Salt, to taste As needed Pepper, to taste
- Put oil in sauté pan and heat to 350 degrees F.
- In 3 separate bowls place the eggs, panko and flour.
- Thoroughly beat the eggs.
- Sprinkle the avocado slices with the salt, to taste.
- Working 4 – 5 slices at a time, dredge the avocado in the flour, shaking off the excess.
- Dip the avocado slices into the egg and use a fork to turn it over to thoroughly coat. Using the same fork, remove the avocado slice from the egg mixture and let the excess egg drip off.
- Place the avocado slice in the panko and use your fingers to lightly press the avocado into the panko to create an even coating.
- Drop the avocado slices, 4 to 5 at a time into the hot oil.
- Cook 3 to 4 minutes, until the avocado slices float and are a lovely golden brown.
- Remove to a paper towel lined plate and repeat until all the avocado slices are cooked.
- Serve with Easy Homemade Ranch Sauce for dipping.
Easy Homemade Ranch Sauce Directions
- In a small bowl combine all the ingredients, except the salt and pepper.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate at least one hour.
- Stir, taste, and salt and pepper to taste.
For a chipotle-style dip, add a chopped chipotle in adobo sauce. For a cilantro and jalapeño twist, add 1/4 of a chopped jalapeño and a 1/4 cup chopped cilantro with a squeeze of lime juice.
Serving Suggestions: Squeeze a lime over the fried avocado slices or sprinkle with a rosemary and parmesan mixture. For a fun party mix, serve with multiple dipping sauce options.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados