This bread is loaded with fiber, which is a huge plus. I love that this recipe is so “free:” Gluten-free, dairy-free, grain-free. It provides a good source of antioxidant vitamin C (15% DV) as well as copper (10% DV), an essential nutrient helpful to the immune system. It also provides a high potency (more than 100% DV) of several B-Vitamins, which the body needs to fight disease, including 250% DV B1, 190% DV B2, 100% DV B6 and 180% DV B12.
Gluten Free Avocado Bread
Total Time: 35 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 42 mcg; Vitamin C 13 mg; Calcium 60 mg; Iron 4 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 57 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.11 g.
Ingredients1 cup coconut flour 4 Tbsp. psyllium husks 4 Tbsp. nutritional yeast 4 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted (use olive oil if you prefer) 1/2 tsp. truffle salt, (use sea salt if you prefer) 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper 2 cups just-boiled water 1 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, divided (mash 1/2 to go into the flatbread, and slice the remaining 1/2 for topping) 1 Tbsp. avocado cooking oil 1/4 tsp. sea salt, or to taste 1 large heirloom tomato, sliced 1 1/2 cups microgreens or baby arugula
- Mix coconut flour, husks, and nutritional yeast in a medium bowl. Mix in the coconut or olive oil and the seasoning.
- Add the just-boiled water (best is JUST off the boil) and combine well with a wooden spoon.
- As soon as the dough becomes tolerable to handle (not too hot), gently fold in mashed avocado. Use your hands to gently form it into a ball.
- Place the ball on a sheet of parchment paper and use a rolling pin to roll out to ¼-inch thick. Cut into quarters or slices.
- Heat the cooking oil (medium heat) in a non-stick or cast-iron skillet.
- Fry the flatbreads for about 2 minutes on each side, or until nicely browned. Turn heat down to medium, flip to cook for another minute or two.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and keep flatbreads warm in the oven until ready to serve.
- Top with remaining sliced avocado, sliced tomato, and microgreens.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados