This bread is loaded with fiber, which is a huge plus. I love that this recipe is so “free:” Gluten-free, dairy-free, grain-free. It provides a good source of antioxidant vitamin C (15% DV) as well as copper (10% DV), an essential nutrient helpful to the immune system. It also provides a high potency (more than 100% DV) of several B-Vitamins, which the body needs to fight disease, including 250% DV B1, 190% DV B2, 100% DV B6 and 180% DV B12.
Gluten Free Avocado Bread
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|4||Tbsp.||coconut oil, melted (use olive oil if you prefer)|
|1/2||tsp.||truffle salt, (use sea salt if you prefer)|
|1/4||tsp.||ground black pepper|
|1||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, divided (mash 1/2 to go into the flatbread, and slice the remaining 1/2 for topping)|
|1||Tbsp.||avocado cooking oil|
|1/4||tsp.||sea salt, or to taste|
|1||large heirloom tomato, sliced|
|1 1/2||cups||microgreens or baby arugula|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Mix coconut flour, husks, and nutritional yeast in a medium bowl. Mix in the coconut or olive oil and the seasoning.
- Add the just-boiled water (best is JUST off the boil) and combine well with a wooden spoon.
- As soon as the dough becomes tolerable to handle (not too hot), gently fold in mashed avocado. Use your hands to gently form it into a ball.
- Place the ball on a sheet of parchment paper and use a rolling pin to roll out to ¼-inch thick. Cut into quarters or slices.
- Heat the cooking oil (medium heat) in a non-stick or cast-iron skillet.
- Fry the flatbreads for about 2 minutes on each side, or until nicely browned. Turn heat down to medium, flip to cook for another minute or two.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and keep flatbreads warm in the oven until ready to serve.
- Top with remaining sliced avocado, sliced tomato, and microgreens.
Vitamin A 42 mcg; Vitamin C 13 mg; Calcium 60 mg; Iron 4 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 57 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.11 g.