Grilled California Avocado Quesadilla
Ingredients12 California Avocados, halved As needed Fresh lime or lemon juice As needed Olive oil As needed Salt 1 1/2 cups manchego cheese, shredded finely 1 cup Panela cheese, grated 3 Tbsp. Cotija cheese, shredded finely As needed Freshly ground black pepper 12 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled, cut into thin strips 12 Home-made flour tortillas, about 10 inches in diameter As needed Unsalted butter As needed Salsa fresca
- An hour or two before service: Cut each avocado half into 5 or 6 slices about 3/8-inch thick.
- Brush each slice on both sides with juice and oil; lightly sprinkle with salt.
- Grill, turning once, until lightly browned with grill marks; reserve.
- Thoroughly mix cheeses; reserve.
- Per Order:
- Lay 1 tortilla on a work surface.
- Put 1/4 cup cheese mixture on half the tortilla.
- On top of cheese evenly distribute 1/2 ounce poblano strips (about 8).
- Top with 4 or 5 grilled avocado slices.
- Drizzle with 1 tablespoon salsa (optional); top with 1/4 cup cheese mixture.
- Brown quesadilla on medium heat in hot butter on both sides.
- Cover pan for a minute or so to finish melting cheese.
- Cut into 4 pieces. Serve with 1/4 cup salsa on the side.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados