There’s almost nothing we love more than an old-school BLT, but sometimes—say, in the heart of summer—it can easily feel like a bit too much. That’s where this recipe comes in. First, sub the dense bread with heads of grilled romaine lettuce, and you have a lighter base that’s just as satisfying as the original. Grill till crisp thick strips of bacon and char hefty slices of California Avocados. Toss on sugar snap peas and vine-ripened heirloom cherry tomatoes—which both offer a satisfying crunch and great acid. Add smoked blue cheese and dress your stunner with a tahini-avocado dressing for a creamy yet guilt-free final note. This recipe provides a high potency of folate (140% DV), vitamin A (160% DV), vitamin B3 17 mg/110% DV and vitamin K 392 mcg/330% DV).
Grilled Avocado BLT Salad
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|For the Dressing|
|1/4||cup||Greek yogurt, plain|
|1||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded and peeled|
|1/8||tsp.||Kosher salt, or to taste|
|For the Grilled Avocado BLT Salad|
|3||heads||romaine lettuce, sliced in half lengthwise|
|2||ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices|
|Dressing, for drizzling|
|1 1/2||cups||cherry tomatoes, halved|
|1||cup||sugar snap peas, ends and fibrous strings removed, thinly sliced on a bias|
|1/2||cup||smoked blue cheese, crumbled|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat.
- Make the dressing: In a food processor, combine all the dressing ingredients, except for the water and salt. While the motor is running, thin out the mixture by streaming in the water until the mixture is a smooth dressing consistency. If the dressing is too thick, thin it out with more water. Season the dressing with salt, transfer to a small bowl and reserve for later.
- On the whole grill, add the romaine halves cut-sides down, bacon strips and California Avocado slices. Allow the ingredients to form dark grill marks and don't over flip. After 3 minutes, flip the ingredients to the other side. After 2 minutes, remove the romaine and set on a cutting board to cool. After 2 more minutes, take the California Avocado slices off the grill. Cook the bacon until the fat has rendered and the strips are golden brown, 2 minutes more. Transfer the grilled bacon to a plate and allow to cool. When it's cool enough to handle, crumble it with your hands into 1-inch pieces.
- Slice the romaine in half on a deep bias, and transfer and shingle the leaves onto a large rectangular serving platter. Drizzle the romaine with the desired amount of dressing and shingle the cherry tomatoes, sugar snap peas, smoked blue cheese, bacon and California Avocado on top of the greens in a divergent pattern. Serve right away with a side of more dressing.
Beverage Pairing: Sparkling water.
* Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Vitamin A 1434 mcg; Vitamin C 39 mg; Calcium 218 mg; Iron 6 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 552 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.71 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 160%; Vitamin C 45%; Calcium 15%; Iron 35 %; Vitamin D 0%