This is a recipe for Grilled Chorizo Sandwiches with Shaved Fennel and California Avocado
Grilled Chorizo Sandwiches with Shaved Fennel and California Avocado
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|4||(4-oz.) Spanish chorizo links, split in half lengthwise|
|1||fennel bulb, trimmed of feathery greens and stalks, then halved and cored|
|2||Tbsp.||Extra virgin olive oil|
|As needed||Salt, to taste|
|2||ripe Fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled and cut into thin slices|
|1/4||cup||Fennel Mayonnaise (see make-ahead recipe below)|
|1||large egg yolk|
|1||tsp.||freshly squeezed lemon juice|
|1||tsp.||ground fennel seeds|
|As needed||Kosher salt, to taste|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Preheat a grill to medium heat.
- Split the baguettes in half lengthwise.
- Grill the sausages on both sides until they are heated through, about 9 minutes total; remove from the grill.
- Grill the baguette halves, cut sides down, until they are toasted, about 3 minutes. Remove the bread from the grill.
- While the sausages are grilling, thinly shave the fennel bulb with a knife. In a bowl, combine the shaved fennel and arugula, then dress with the squeezed the lemon, olive oil and salt, to taste. Set aside.
- Smear a layer of Fennel Mayonnaise on the bottom half of each baguette. Place the shaved fennel arugula mixture over the mayo, dividing it evenly among the baguettes. Place a portion of grilled chorizo on top of each.
- Arrange half of a sliced avocado on top of the chorizo. Cover each sandwich with the top half of the baguette, then slice each sandwich in half and serve.
Note: Be sure to use Spanish chorizo, which is cured and fully cooked.
- Combine the yolk, mustard, vinegar, brown sugar, lemon juice and fennel seed in the bowl of a food processor or blender. Slowly add the oil while the machine is running until the mixture thickens and emulsifies.
- Season with salt, to taste and refrigerate until use.
Tip: Store the leftover Fennel Mayonnaise in the refrigerator for a day or two to use on other sandwiches.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Copyright © 2013, Eric Tanaka
Calories 1010; Total Fat 50 g (Sat 8 g, Trans 0 g, Poly 6 g, Mono 23 g); Cholesterol 125 mg; Sodium 1970 mg; Potassium 770 mg; Dietary Fiber 12 g; Protein 36 g