This is a recipe for Grilled Chorizo Sandwiches with Shaved Fennel and California Avocado
Grilled Chorizo Sandwiches with Shaved Fennel and California Avocado
Total Time: 10 min
Calories 1010; Total Fat 50 g (Sat 8 g, Trans 0 g, Poly 6 g, Mono 23 g); Cholesterol 125 mg; Sodium 1970 mg; Potassium 770 mg; Dietary Fiber 12 g; Protein 36 g
Ingredients4 (8-in.) baguettes 4 (4-oz.) Spanish chorizo links, split in half lengthwise 1 fennel bulb, trimmed of feathery greens and stalks, then halved and cored 4 oz. arugula 1/2 lemon 2 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil As needed Salt, to taste 2 ripe Fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled and cut into thin slices 1/4 cup Fennel Mayonnaise (see make-ahead recipe below) Fennel Mayonnaise 1 large egg yolk 4 tsp. dry mustard 2 tsp. cider vinegar 2 tsp. brown sugar 1 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice 1 tsp. ground fennel seeds 2/3 cup canola oil As needed Kosher salt, to taste
- Preheat a grill to medium heat.
- Split the baguettes in half lengthwise.
- Grill the sausages on both sides until they are heated through, about 9 minutes total; remove from the grill.
- Grill the baguette halves, cut sides down, until they are toasted, about 3 minutes. Remove the bread from the grill.
- While the sausages are grilling, thinly shave the fennel bulb with a knife. In a bowl, combine the shaved fennel and arugula, then dress with the squeezed the lemon, olive oil and salt, to taste. Set aside.
- Smear a layer of Fennel Mayonnaise on the bottom half of each baguette. Place the shaved fennel arugula mixture over the mayo, dividing it evenly among the baguettes. Place a portion of grilled chorizo on top of each.
- Arrange half of a sliced avocado on top of the chorizo. Cover each sandwich with the top half of the baguette, then slice each sandwich in half and serve.
Note: Be sure to use Spanish chorizo, which is cured and fully cooked.
- Combine the yolk, mustard, vinegar, brown sugar, lemon juice and fennel seed in the bowl of a food processor or blender. Slowly add the oil while the machine is running until the mixture thickens and emulsifies.
- Season with salt, to taste and refrigerate until use.
Tip: Store the leftover Fennel Mayonnaise in the refrigerator for a day or two to use on other sandwiches.
Copyright © 2013, Eric Tanaka
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados