As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting.
Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados.
One of my favorite dips of all time is hot spinach and artichoke dip and I have to tell y’all, my mom’s Spinach and Artichoke dip is heavy on the garlic and I love it with a mad passion. I make it as often as I can and the other day while plotting out my next summer recipe for California Avocado Commission, I decided that I wanted to cut the cream cheese in half and replace it with some California Avocado; I may never go back.
We’ve become rather addicted to grilled pizzas this summer – all the deliciousness of pizza without having to heat up the kitchen – and everyone can top their pizza however they please! Win Win!!
I have to confess that I think this is not only my new favorite dip; it’s my new favorite pizza and my mind is racing as to the other toppings I can add, however, this time I kept it simple and the garlicky, savory spinach-artichoke-avocado dip paired brilliantly with the salty, tender prosciutto. I prefer my pizza crusts thin, and grilling the thin crust pizzas makes for an incredibly tasty and crispy pizza. YUM
I won’t blame you if you have to double the dip recipe because you simply can’t stop yourself from devouring it straight out of the skillet on the stove… not that I did that or anything…
Grilled Pizza with Spinach Artichoke California Avocado Dip and Prosciutto
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
- 2 5-oz individual pre-made pizza crusts
- 4 slices of prosciutto
- Spinach Artichoke California Avocado Dip (see make-ahead recipe below)
- Heat a grill to medium high heat – about 400°F and clean or lightly oil the grates
- Spread roughly ½ Cup Spinach-Artichoke-Avocado over each pizza to cover
- Tear the prosciutto slices and lay over top the pizzas
- Place the pizzas on your pre-heated grill – close the lid for 5 minutes, open and cook an additional 5 – 6 minutes until the dip bubbles and the underside of the pizzas are cooked to your liking.
- Remove from the grill, allow to cool a few minutes, slice and serve.
Spinach Artichoke California Avocado Dip
- 1 cup chopped artichoke hearts
- 1/2 cup chopped frozen spinach (thawed)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4-oz cream cheese
- 1/2 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, peeled, seeded and mashed
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Place the spinach and artichoke hearts into a skillet with just enough water to cover. Heat over medium-high heat until the water boils and the artichoke hearts become tender. About 10 minutes. Drain when done
- In a saucepan over medium heat, sauté the garlic in just a hint of olive oil until the garlic becomes translucent and smells amazing. Add in the cream cheese and mashed avocado – stir and cook until hot and bubbly
- Add in the parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes and spinach-artichoke mixture – stir and heat until bubbly*
*If you’re eating this as a dip – stop now and devour immediately