One of my favorite dips of all time is hot spinach and artichoke dip and I have to tell y’all, my mom’s Spinach and Artichoke dip is heavy on the garlic and I love it with a mad passion. I make it as often as I can and the other day while plotting out my next summer recipe for California Avocado Commission, I decided that I wanted to cut the cream cheese in half and replace it with some California Avocado; I may never go back.
We’ve become rather addicted to grilled pizzas this summer – all the deliciousness of pizza without having to heat up the kitchen – and everyone can top their pizza however they please! Win Win!!
I have to confess that I think this is not only my new favorite dip; it’s my new favorite pizza and my mind is racing as to the other toppings I can add, however, this time I kept it simple and the garlicky, savory spinach-artichoke-avocado dip paired brilliantly with the salty, tender prosciutto. I prefer my pizza crusts thin, and grilling the thin crust pizzas makes for an incredibly tasty and crispy pizza. YUM
I won’t blame you if you have to double the dip recipe because you simply can’t stop yourself from devouring it straight out of the skillet on the stove… not that I did that or anything…
Grilled Pizza with Spinach Artichoke California Avocado Dip and Prosciutto
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
- 2 5-oz individual pre-made pizza crusts
- 4 slices of prosciutto
- Spinach Artichoke California Avocado Dip (see make-ahead recipe below)
- Heat a grill to medium high heat – about 400°F and clean or lightly oil the grates
- Spread roughly ½ Cup Spinach-Artichoke-Avocado over each pizza to cover
- Tear the prosciutto slices and lay over top the pizzas
- Place the pizzas on your pre-heated grill – close the lid for 5 minutes, open and cook an additional 5 – 6 minutes until the dip bubbles and the underside of the pizzas are cooked to your liking.
- Remove from the grill, allow to cool a few minutes, slice and serve.
Spinach Artichoke California Avocado Dip
- 1 cup chopped artichoke hearts
- 1/2 cup chopped frozen spinach (thawed)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4-oz cream cheese
- 1/2 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, peeled, seeded and mashed
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Place the spinach and artichoke hearts into a skillet with just enough water to cover. Heat over medium-high heat until the water boils and the artichoke hearts become tender. About 10 minutes. Drain when done
- In a saucepan over medium heat, sauté the garlic in just a hint of olive oil until the garlic becomes translucent and smells amazing. Add in the cream cheese and mashed avocado – stir and cook until hot and bubbly
- Add in the parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes and spinach-artichoke mixture – stir and heat until bubbly*
*If you’re eating this as a dip – stop now and devour immediately