Hot thinly sliced corned beef brisket accented with California Avocado, Swiss cheese and Killarney Avocado Slaw on marble rye is a delicious new way to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day or any deli day. Freshly braised corned beef brisket accented with California Avocado and Killarney avocado slaw is a delicious new way to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. Yummy goodness and nutrition wrapped up in a great dish. You get an excellent source of Vitamin A (21% DV), Vitamin C (35% DV), Calcium (20% DV) and Iron (22% DV). Enjoy!
Corned Beef and Killarney Avocado Slaw Sandwich
Total Time: 5 min
Vitamin A 1045 (IU); Vitamin C 21 mg; Calcium 198 mg; Iron 4 mg; Vitamin D 6 (IU); Folate 136 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.3 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 21%; Vitamin C 35%; Calcium 20%; Iron 22%
Ingredients12 oz. cooked corned beef, thinly sliced, hot (See this link for cooked corn beef recipe) 4 oz. (1/2-oz.) slices Swiss cheese 1 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, peeled, seeded and sliced (plus additional for the Killarney slaw) As needed Irish Beer Mustard sauce (recipe below) As needed Killarney Avocado Slaw (recipe below) 8 slices marble rye bread Irish Beer Mustard Sauce 1/4 cup spicy brown mustard 1 1/2 Tbsp. Irish Beer or lager 1 1/2 tsp. green onion, white end only, minced 1/2 tsp. sugar Killarney Avocado Slaw 4 oz. fresh shredded cabbage and carrot mix 2 Tbsp. diced yellow bell pepper 1 Tbsp. thinly sliced green onion 1/3 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt 3 Tbsp. coarsely mashed ripe, Fresh California Avocado 1/2 tsp. sugar, granulated 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice 2/5 tsp. caraway seed 1/4 cup diced ripe, Fresh California Avocado
- Use hot cooked corned beef brisket thinly sliced or follow the recipe for fresh corned beef brisket. (link)
- To prepare the Irish Beer Mustard sauce whisk all ingredients together and refrigerate.
- To prepare the Killarney Avocado Slaw mix together all ingredients except the diced California Avocado, and then fold that in last and refrigerate.
- Place 4 slices of marble rye on cutting board, top with Irish Beer Mustard sauce or place it aside to use as a dipping sauce.
- Top each with 3 oz. warm corned beef, then with ¼ sliced California Avocado and then 1 slice of Swiss cheese.
- Top with ½ cup Killarney Avocado Slaw and then an additional slice of Marble rye and cut in half.
Serving suggestion: Serve with California Avocado Potato Salad, California Avocado Caesar Salad or green apple. Add grated orange rind to the slaw for more flavor and garnish with sliced green onion.
Beverage Pairings: Pair with Irish black lager or other black lager beer, a non-alcoholic beer or sparkling water with fresh lemon juice and lemon slices.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados