Grilled California Avocados are one of my favorite foods. Period. If I have the grill on, which is where 90% of our summer meals come from, and I have avocados, I’m grilling them.
If you’ve never grilled an avocado it’s incredibly simple, and it might possibly change your avocado eating life forever.
I started grilling avocados in 2013 and since then, my Grilled Avocados stuffed with Black Bean and Sweet Corn Pico has become one of the most requested summer grilling treats whenever we have a party or cookout with the neighbors.
This summer, when the requests started coming in, and the neighborhood cookout planning started, I decided that this year I was going to mix things up and take the Grilled Avocados to another level of deliciousness by creating a DIY Grilled Stuffed Avocado Bar!
A Grilled Stuffed Avocado Bar is so incredibly easy to put together, and it’s a great way for people to show off their personalities and get creative with their food. You can include sweet, savory, spicy, and simple. For this gathering; I set out steak fajita meat, black bean and corn pico, tortilla chips, balsamic vinegar, chopped strawberries, sliced lemons and limes, and salt and pepper.
The creations were awesome and delicious!
Some guests went basic and just squeezed a bit of lemon juice and a dash of salt and ate the creamy, buttery, grilled avocado just like that.
Some topped them just with some pico, or scooped the creamy grilled avocado out of the skin and added it to their plate as another condiment.
My two favorite grilled avocado creations that came from this Grilled Avocado Bar were the:
The Fajita Stuffed Grilled Avocado, a grilled California Avocado stuffed with black bean and corn pico, fajita meat and topped with crushed tortilla chips and chopped cilantro with a squeeze of lime.
And a grilled California Avocado stuffed with chopped strawberries and topped with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
So grab your favorite ingredients, a few ripe California Avocados and some friends and let your imaginations run wild!
Grilled California Avocados
Prep time: 1 minute
Cook time: 10 minute
Total time: 11 minutes
- 1 ripe Fresh California Avocado, halved and seeded
- Olive oil, as needed
- Place each avocado half flesh side down on a medium-high heated grill. If you’re worried about them sticking to the grill, you can brush them with olive oil.
- Cook about 5 minutes and then change the direction they lay on the grill if you want those pretty cross-hatch grill marks.
- Grill them another 4–5 minutes or until you see the skin of the avocado change colors (it’s really noticeable).
- To serve, place your favorite fillings on a table and wait to see what kind of combinations your guests create!