A tossed green salad made by Elizabeth Hass, just the way Rudolph Hass, owner of the original Hass Avocado tree, loved it. Simple, tasty and full of California Avocados. Made with typically on hand ingredients, so it is easy to prepare without much planning. It is made special by the creamy Fresh California Avocado Dressing. Sliced celery and walnuts add some great crunch.
Hass Family California Avocado Everyday Salad
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|4||cups||(1-in. chopped) iceberg lettuce cups (1-in. chopped) romaine lettuce|
|1/2||cup||thinly sliced celery|
|1||medium tomato, diced to ½-in. pieces|
|1/2||cup||walnuts, halves and pieces, roasted|
|1||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, peeled, seeded and sliced|
|1/4||cup||thinly sliced green onion|
|Creamy Fresh California Avocado Dressing|
|1/2||each ripe, Fresh California Avocado, peeled, seeded and mashed|
|2||Tbsp.||apple cider vinegar|
|1 1/2||tsp.||whole grain mustard|
|1||clove garlic, minced|
|2/5||tsp.||coarsely ground black pepper|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Prepare Creamy Avocado Dressing in advance (see below).
- In a medium bowl, toss together iceberg and romaine lettuces. Then toss with dressing. Divide salad equally into 4 serving bowls.
- Top with celery, tomato, walnuts, avocado and lastly green onion. Serve.
Creamy Fresh California Avocado Dressing Instructions
- Using a blender, blend all ingredients until smooth and refrigerate.
* Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Serving Suggestions: As an everyday salad, prepare this with any veggies on hand like broccoli, cucumber, mushrooms, or carrots. For a special version of this salad use candied walnuts and sliced dried apricots with romaine and spring lettuces.
Beverage Pairings: Try with a glass of Sauvignon Blanc.
Vitamin A 3758 (IU); Vitamin C 32 mg; Calcium 70 mg; Iron 2 mg; Vitamin D 0 (IU); Folate 173 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 1.5 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 80%; Vitamin C 50%; Calcium 6%; Iron 10%