Fresh, flavorful, colorful and delicious… you can’t go wrong with these lettuce cups for a perfect summer meal. Try making these with chicken if your family is like mine and prefers a little meat in their meals. However, you should give chickpeas (garbanzo beans) a try for a really tasty vegetarian option. Either way, you’ll want to keep this recipe handy, because no matter which option you choose, both are easy and delicious. Enjoy!
Healthy Lettuce Cups
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|2||cups||kale, torn into small pieces, stalks removed|
|Radicchio leaves, 6-8 leaves|
|2||ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled and diced|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Add coconut oil to a large skillet over medium heat.
- For non-vegetarian, add the chicken, garlic salt and ginger and cook for 8 minutes stirring occasionally.
- For vegetarian, add the garbanzo beans, garlic salt and ginger. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the shredded carrots, lemon juice and soy sauce. Continue to cook for 3 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Add the Kale and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place ¼ cup of chicken or vegetarian mixture into each lettuce cup. Top with fresh diced California Avocados and serve.
Serving Suggestion: Replace chicken with garbanzo beans for a vegetarian option.
*For vegetarian option: 1 (19oz) can Bush’s Garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained.
**Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Vitamin A 191 mcg; Vitamin C 13 mg; Calcium 19 mg; Iron 1 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 49 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 20%; Vitamin C 20%; Calcium 2%; Iron 6 %; Vitamin D 0%