Mediterranean Veggie Wrap with Avocado Spread
Ingredients2 12" chipotle or other flavored flour tortilla 1/2 Sun-dried Tomato Pesto (recipe follows) 1/2 cup Roasted Garlic Aioli (recipe follows) Marinated Grilled Summer Squash (recipe follows) 2 cups fresh spinach leaves tossed with 2 Tbsp. prepared light vinaigrette 8 oz. Feta cheese 1 cup California Avocado Spread (recipe follows) 1/2 cup roasted red and yellow bell pepper, cut into strips 1/2 oz. chives (1 bunch) 2 oz. daikon sprouts Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto (Yield: 1-1/2 cups) 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes, reconstituted in water until soft, then squeezed dry 4 oz. vegetable juice 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar 1 tsp. Extra virgin olive oil 1/2 tsp. chopped garlic 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper 1/4 tsp. salt Roasted Garlic Aioli (Yield: approx 1-1/4 cup) 1/4 cup peeled garlic cloves 8 oz. water 1 1/2 tsp. salt 8 oz. mayonnaise Mariniated Grilled Summer Squash 3 medium green zucchini 3 medium yellow zucchini or other summer squash 2 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil 1/2 tsp. kosher salt 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper California Avocado Spread (Yield: 1 cup) 2 Fresh California Avocados, pitted and peeled* 1 1/2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice 3/4 tsp. kosher salt Pinch of cayenne pepper
Sun-dried Tomato Pesto
- Combine all ingredients in food processor and blend until smooth. Add water to thin if pesto is too thick.
Roasted Garlic Aioli
- Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Add salt and garlic and boil until garlic is soft, about 20 minutes. Some of the water will evaporate while cooking.
- Pour the garlic mixture into a blender, and process until smooth.
- Fold into the mayonnaise.
Marinated Grilled Summer Squash
- Slice zucchini and/or squash on the bias into ¼” thick slices. Toss in a large bowl with the extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper until all the pieces are coated.
- Grill or roast the squash over medium high heat for a few minutes on each side until just soft. Remove from heat.
California Avocado Spread
- Mash the avocados in a bowl keeping a chunky consistency. Mix in lime juice, salt, and cayenne.
- Warm both of the tortillas in a pan on the stove over medium heat. Place warmed tortillas on a work surface side by side.
- For each tortilla, spread with ¼ cup of the Sun-dried Tomato Pesto, then sprinkle 4 oz. feta cheese down the middle.
- Divide the chives and daikon sprouts into two portions. Lay half of the chives and daikon sprouts across the lower third of each tortilla so that they extend beyond the end of the tortilla.
- Layer ¼ cup of the roasted bell pepper strips across the bottom third of each tortilla. Then top each with ½ of the grilled squash, followed by 1 cup of the spinach. Last, top each with ½ cup of the California Avocado Spread.
- Starting at the bottom, roll the wraps up as tightly as possible.
- To serve, slice the wraps into 4 pieces. Cut the end with the chives and daikon sprouts straight across, about 4 inches long. Cut the remaining slices on the diagonal. Drizzle plates with roasted garlic aioli and place the wraps on top, placing the one with chives and daikon sprouts in the center. Serve.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados