Penne pasta is tossed with balsamic-roasted vegetables then topped with creamy Fresh California Avocados. Excellent source of Vitamin C. Good source of Vitamin A and Iron.
Pasta With Oven Roasted Vegetables and Avocado
Total Time: 45 min
Vitamin A 831 (IU); Vitamin C 40 mg; Calcium 43 mg; Iron 1.8 mg; Vitamin D 0 (IU); Folate 108 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.11 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%; Vitamin C 70%; Calcium 4%; Iron 10%
Ingredients3 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and sliced 1 medium red onion, sliced into crescents 1 leek (white part only) thinly sliced, rings separated 1 medium red bell pepper cut into 1 inch pieces 1 medium yellow bell pepper cut into 1 inch pieces 1 Chinese eggplant, cut in half lengthwise and sliced 3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar, divided 1 Tbsp. olive oil 5 medium cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp. salt 1 tsp. ground black pepper 8 oz. uncooked penne pasta, cooked according to package directions 1/2 cup salt-reduced, fat free vegetable broth 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil leaves 1 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled and cut into 16 slices As needed Fresh basil leaves, for garnish
- In large roasting pan (bottom of broiler pan works well) sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, combine all vegetables.
- In small bowl, blend 2/3 of the balsamic vinegar with the, oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Pour over vegetables and toss to coat.
- Roast in pre-heated 375 degrees F oven for 45 minutes, stirring twice.
- Remove vegetables from oven and pour on remaining balsamic vinegar.
- In large bowl, toss together cooked pasta, roasted vegetables, broth, and basil. Portion into individual low-sided pasta bowls.
- Place two slices avocado and a fresh basil leaf on top of pasta.
Serving Suggestion: Top with grilled tofu for a main-dish vegan pasta, or add sliced cooked chicken for a non-vegetarian meal.
Beverage Pairings: Try with a glass of Pinot Grigio.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados