Vegan-friendly and easy to make-ahead, this on-the-go Israeli-inspired salad serves well as an entrée or accompanying side dish.
Pearl Couscous with California Avocado and Crispy Tofu
|1||lb.||extra firm tofu|
|2 1/2||Tbsp.||extra virgin olive oil, divided|
|3||shiitake mushrooms, large, stems removed and thinly sliced|
|2||Tbsp.||fresh lemon juice|
|1||clove garlic, peeled and minced|
|3||radishes, thinly sliced|
|1/4||cup||red onion, finely diced|
|1/4||cup||green onion, finely chopped|
|3||Tbsp.||cilantro, finely chopped|
|1/8||tsp.||coarse sea salt, or to taste|
|2||ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled and diced|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Drain the tofu by removing from the package, lay flat and slice in half horizontally. Place the slices in a single layer of 3-4 sheets of paper towels. Top tofu with additional paper towels and a heavy object (i.e. cast-iron pan) and let sit 15 minutes.
- Uncover the tofu, cut into small cubes and place into a large mixing bowl.
- Add about 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil and season with salt and chili powder.
- Heat a large oven-safe pan over medium heat and add the seasoned tofu cubes.
- Place the pan over medium heat, and cook, shaking the pan occasionally until tofu begins to brown on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and cook tofu for 20-25 minutes or until crispy, remove and set aside.
- Alternatively, after seasoning the tofu cubes you can place them in a single layer in an air fryer and cook at 375 degrees F for 15 minutes.
- While the tofu bakes, bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan and add couscous and shiitake mushrooms; stir then reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the water is absorbed, about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, put in a large bowl and allow to cool.
- Combine lemon juice, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, sugar Sriracha and remaining olive oil in a small bowl and mix until sugar dissolves. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Once cooled, add radishes, red onion, green onion, tomato, cilantro and sea salt.
- Dress the couscous mixture evenly then spoon on plates, adding the crispy tofu and diced avocado.
Serving suggestions: Garnish with black or white sesame seeds.
Beverage Pairing: Thanks to the punchy flavor from the salad’s dressing, this dish pairs well with any light beer.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.