California Avocado Risotto
|1 1/2||gal.||as needed, Chicken stock|
|2||cups||dry white wine|
|As needed||As needed Salt|
|2 2/3||cups||Parmesan cheese,grated|
|3/4||cup||Chopped parsley, basil or cilantro|
|As needed||Freshly ground white pepper|
|California Avocado Salsa Recipe follows|
|As needed||As needed for garnish Herb sprigs|
|1||lb.||California firm-ripe Avocado, for garnish|
|3||Tbsp.||fresh lime juice|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Bring stock to a simmer; keep hot over low heat.
- Meanwhile, sauté shallot in olive oil until just tender, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in rice; sauté, stirring constantly, until outer covering is translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Deglaze with wine; cook until almost all wine has evaporated.
- Stir in with1 tablespoon salt.
- Stir about 1 cup simmering stock into rice until almost all liquid has evaporated.
- Continue stirring in stock 1 cup at a time, until risotto has cooked 12 minutes. Do not add stock the last 2 or 3 minutes; risotto must have almost no liquid when it reaches the 12-minute mark.
- Immediately turn risotto out on an oiled sheet pan, spreading 1/2-inch thick; cool. Cool remaining stock; reserve for per-order preparation. Risotto can be made up to 1 day ahead; store, tightly covered, in the refrigerator. Take it out shortly before service.
- JUST BEFORE SERVICE: slice avocado about 3/8″ thick; brush with lime juice.
- PER ORDER
- Heat 3/4 cup prepared risotto, stirring in 1/3 cup simmering stock, until risotto is creamy but rice grains remain al dente. Add additional stock by the tablespoon as needed to reach correct consistency. Stir in 2 tablespoons cheese, 1/2 tablespoon chopped herb, pepper to taste, additional salt, if necessary, then 1/2 cup California Avocado Salsa. Serve in a heated pasta bowl. Garnish with 2 slices avocado and herb sprigs.
- CALIFORNIA AVOCADO SALSA
- Gently fold together 4 pounds (8) firm-ripe California Avocados cut into 3/8″ dice, 1-1/2 pounds diced (3/8″) and drained tomatoes, 6 ounces (1-1/2 cups) thinly sliced green onion, and 1/2 cup fresh lime juice. Season to taste with salt (1/2 tablespoon).