This patriotic salad will surely be the perfect addition to any 4th of July gathering, featuring tomatoes, blue potatoes, feta cheese and California Avocados.
Red, White and Blue Salad with Avocado
Total Time: 20 min
Vitamin A 1398 IU; Vitamin C 62 mg; Calcium 239 mg; Iron 3.6 mg; Vitamin D 4.5 IU; Folate 162 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.3 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 30%; Vitamin C 100%; Calcium 25%; Iron 20%
Ingredients1 lb. blue or purple potatoes, about 12 small potatoes, washed, with skins on 1 pita bread, torn into 1/2-inch pieces 1 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil As needed Salt, to taste As needed Freshly ground black pepper, to taste 2 ripe Fresh California Avocados, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice 4 Persian cucumbers, halved and cut into 1/2-inch slices 3 Roma tomatoes, cored and cut into 1/2-inch dice 4 scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal 4 oz. feta cheese, crumbled 4 cups arugula As needed Vinaigrette (see make-ahead recipe below) Vinaigrette 2 lemons 1 tsp. freshly grated lemon zest 2 Tbsp. white vinegar As needed Salt, to taste 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper 1/3 cup Extra virgin olive oil
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until just soft, about 10 minutes. Drain and, when cool enough to handle, peel off potato skins using your fingers or a paring knife. Cut potatoes into 1/2-inch dice and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Toss pita bread pieces with olive oil, salt and pepper and spread out in a single layer on a baking sheet. Place in oven and bake for 8 minutes, or until crisp and golden. Remove from oven and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Combine potatoes, pita chips, avocados, cucumbers, tomatoes, scallions and feta cheese in a large mixing bowl.
- To assemble the salad, place equal amounts of arugula on each plate and top with the potato mixture.
- Add vinaigrette to taste, toss thoroughly, and serve.
- Slice ends off lemons and stand upright on a cutting board. In a downward motion, cut away lemon peel and outer membrane, exposing fruit.
- Working over a bowl to catch the juices, separate the lemon sections by slicing with a knife between membranes. Remove and discard seeds.
- Transfer lemon segments and juices to a blender with lemon zest, vinegar, salt and pepper and combine thoroughly. With motor still running, slowly drizzle in olive oil. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Copyright © 2012, Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger, www.bordergrill.com
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados