These savory pancakes provide healthy fat from the good fats in avocados and probiotics from sauerkraut —not to mention the classic German flavors of caraway and apple. Serve them as an appetizer at your next event.
Savory Sauerkraut & California Avocado Pancakes
Total Time: 25 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 26 mcg; Vitamin C 10 mg; Calcium 55 mg; Iron 1 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 48 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.07 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%; Vitamin C 10%; Calcium 4%; Iron 6%; Vitamin D 0%
IngredientsDilly Avocado Sauce 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt 1/4 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled and mashed 1 tsp. diced onion 1 tsp. rough chopped dill, plus 24 sprigs for garnish 1/2 tsp. pepper 1/4 tsp. sea salt Sauerkraut Pancakes 2 eggs 1 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled and mashed1 1 tsp. dried dill 1/2 tsp. caraway seed 1/8 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. pepper 1/8 tsp. sea salt 1 large apple, grated 2 cups sauerkraut (strained and squeezed in cheesecloth to remove as much liquid as possible) 1/2 onion, peeled and grated 1 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour or substitute all-purpose flour Avocado oil spray or other cooking spray
Dilly Avocado Sauce
- Blend all ingredients until smooth, cover with plastic, and refrigerate until ready to serve. May be made up to an hour in advance.
- Blend eggs, avocado, dill, caraway, salt and pepper. Mix well with the rest of the pancake ingredients. Form into 1-inch balls for appetizer size or 2-inch balls for side dish.
- Spray cooking oil in a 10 to12-inch nonstick skillet and turn to medium heat. Add the dough balls to the pan with plenty of room between each. Press the balls with your hand or a spatula to flatten into 1-inch tall discs.
- Cook for three minutes on the first side then flip and cook for 2-3 minutes until the pancakes are golden brown and warmed all the way through.
- Work in batches spraying a bit more cooking spray for each batch, as necessary.
- Serve while warm and crispy.
Serving Suggestion: Top with Avocado Dilly Sauce, avocado chunks and a spring of dill.
Beverage Pairing: Off dry Riesling
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados