This unique and versatile tart can be served before or after dinner, thanks to its unique balance of flavors and textures. Each bite starts with flaky pastry, followed by a creamy dollop of California Avocados and bright acidic grapefruit, ending with a sweet and spicy kick of yuzu kosho-honey sauce.
Savory Tart of California Avocado
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|1||frozen puff pastry|
|1||tsp.||green Yuzu Kosho or tamarind paste|
|2||tsp.||white wine vinegar|
|1||Ruby Red Grapefruit, peeled|
|2||ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded and peeled|
|1/4||tsp.||salt, or to taste|
|1/4||tsp.||pepper, or to taste|
|1 1/2||tsp.||bee pollen for garnish (optional)|
|Sprigs of mint, lavender or marjoram for garnish (optional)|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Thaw the puff pastry in the refrigerator or on the counter overnight until pliable.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Once the puff pastry is thawed, unfold or unroll it, removing any packaging papers or liners.
- Cut and shape puff pastry into four 2×4-inch rectangles.
- Place the rectangles between two layers of parchment paper and two half sheet trays, with one on top as a weight.
- Place the pastries in the pre-heated oven, and bake until brown and crisp, about 12 minutes. An additional 2 minutes with the top sheet tray and parchment paper removed may be needed to finish even browning and crisping. Set aside and let the pastries cool.
- While pastries are cooling, create Yuzu Kosho-honey sauce by heating honey, Yuzu Kosho (or tamarind paste) and white wine vinegar until warm. Set aside and cool before using.
- Using a sharp knife, cut between the grapefruit’s membranes to release the segments. Be sure to remove all of the white pith. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, use a fork to mash the avocado with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread evenly mashed avocado onto cooled pastry sheets. Top with grapefruit segments, then Yuzu Kosho-honey sauce. Sprinkle with bee pollen and garnish with herb of choice.
Serving Suggestion: Consider serving this crowd-pleasing dish as an appetizer before a dinner party. Cut the recipe in half for tasting sizes and garnish with a colorful herb like lavender and store-bought bee pollen.
Beverage Pairing: To accentuate the vibrant flavors of the tart, try serving alongside a glass of sparkling wine like prosecco or champagne.
Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.