Spinach Salad with Pan-Seared Salmon, Oranges, Red Onion, and California Avocado
|3/4||cup||extra-virgin olive oil|
|1 1/2||tsp.||kosher or sea salt|
|As needed||Freshly ground pepper|
|21||cups||(about 18-oz.) lightly packed baby spinach leaves|
|3||cups||thinly sliced red onion|
|3||red bell peppers, halved lengthwise, cleaned, seeded, and cut into long, thin slices|
|6||navel oranges, peeled and white pith removed, cut into segments|
|12||Copper River salmon fillets (about 5-oz. each), skin and pin bones removed|
|As needed||Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste|
|3||Fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled, and cut into 16 thin wedges|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt, and pepper to taste. Cover tightly and shake vigorously to blend. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Set aside.
- Place the spinach, onion, and bell pepper in a large salad bowl. Put the oranges in a separate smaller bowl.
- Heat a flat top grill or large sauté pan to medium heat. Season the salmon on all sides with salt and pepper and coat the cooking surface with the remaining olive oil. Lay salmon, skin-side down, and cook until the skin is crisp, about 4 minutes.
- Carefully turn the salmon and cook until the fillets are almost opaque throughout, but still moist, or an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 125° to 130° (about 4 minutes).
- Transfer salmon to a warm plate while you toss the salad.
- To serve, add the orange segments to the salad bowl, give the dressing a last-minute shake, and pour over the salad. Toss gently. Arrange the salad on 12 dinner plates. Center a salmon fillet top of the salad, and garnish each plate with 4 slices of avocado. Serve immediately.
* Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger avocados, adjust the quantity accordingly.
Nutrition Information Per Serving: Calories 580; Total Fat 41 g (Sat 6 g, Trans 0 g, Poly 7 g, Mono 26 g); Cholesterol 80 mg; Sodium 390 mg; Total Carbohydrates 25 g; Dietary Fiber 11 g; Protein 32 g