These garlic and sherry-seasoned stuffed mushrooms filled with creamy California Avocados and pancetta make perfect appetizers for entertaining or to start a meal. Nutritionally, this low sodium appetizer provides 370 mg of potassium and 6% of the recommended daily value for Vitamin C.
Stuffed Mushroom Guac Poppers
|1||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, peeled, seeded and mashed in a small bowl|
|3||Tbsp.||Extra virgin olive oil|
|2||large cloves garlic, thinly sliced|
|25||medium mushroom caps, cleaned|
|1/4||cup||low-sodium beef or vegetable broth|
|2||tsp.||fresh lemon juice|
|1/7||tsp.||smoked hot paprika|
|1/2||tsp.||crushed red pepper|
|2||Tbsp.||dry (fino) sherry|
|As needed||Sea salt, to taste|
|*Uncooked smoked bacon or veggie “bacon” may be substituted.|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
Yields 24 stuffed mushrooms
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add pancetta and cook until beginning to brown. Skim pancetta from pan, leaving any drippings in pan, and add to avocado in bowl. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in the same skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, cap sides down, and cook without stirring for 4 minutes. Caps should look caramelized.
- Add the broth, lemon juice, paprika and half the crushed red pepper to the skillet and toss with the mushrooms. Stir and simmer for about 3 minutes or until mushrooms are tender but still very juicy.
- Add the garlic and sherry to the mushrooms in the pan; cook about 2 minutes until the garlic is fragrant. (Cut the one extra mushroom in half to test, enjoy the other half if ready or continue cooking.) Turn mushrooms caps sides up and remove to a serving plate. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt.
- Add any remaining garlic from pan, pan juices and remaining red pepper to avocado and pancetta in bowl. Stir to combine; adjust salt and seasonings to taste. With a small spoon top mushroom caps with avocado and pancetta mixture. Serve immediately.
Serving Suggestion: Add an appetizer toothpick to the center of each stuffed mushroom or serve on individual serving spoons.
Beverage Pairing: Try with a glass of fruity sangria.
Calories 130; Total Fat 11 g (Sat 2 g, Trans 0 g, Poly 1 g, Mono 7 g); Cholesterol <5 mg; Sodium 115 mg; Potassium 370 mg; Total Carbohydrates 5 g; Dietary Fiber 2 g; Total Sugars 0 g; Protein 4 g; Vitamin A 120 (IU); Vitamin C 3 mg; Calcium 7 mg; Iron 0.5 mg; Vitamin D 54 (IU); Folate 27 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.04 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%; Vitamin C 6%; Calcium 0%; Iron 4%