The classic tofu scramble is elevated with a delicious homemade California Avocado Salsa Verde and rosemary mushrooms. The avocado salsa verde is made fresh with California Avocados and tomatillos creating a flavorful sauce that pairs perfectly with the tofu scramble. This is a hearty savory breakfast that is naturally vegan, full of flavor and comes together in minutes.
Tofu Scramble with California Avocado Salsa Verde
Total Time: 30 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 19 mcg; Vitamin C 24 mg; Calcium 300 mg; Iron 5 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 96 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.25 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%; Vitamin C 25%; Calcium 25%; Iron 30 %; Vitamin D 0%
IngredientsCalifornia Avocado Salsa Verde 1/2 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded and peeled 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice 1/3 cup cilantro 1 shallot 1 Tbsp. water 1/8 tsp. sea salt, or to taste Classic Tofu Scramble with California Avocado Salsa Verde 2 Tbsp. avocado oil, divided 1 (16-oz.) package of firm organic tofu drained and patted dry 3 Tbsp. nutritional yeast 1/8 tsp. turmeric powder 2 Tbsp. oat milk 1/8 tsp. pepper, or to taste 1/4 tsp. sea salt, or to taste, divided 1 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced 1/8 tsp. rosemary 1/4 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled California Avocado Salsa Verde (see make-ahead
California Avocado Salsa Verde
- Add all ingredients into a blender and blend until creamy. Pour into a bowl and set aside until ready to serve.
Classic Tofu Scramble with California Avocado Salsa Verde
- Warm half of the oil in a pan on medium heat. Using your fingers, crumble the tofu into pieces directly into the pan. Add the yeast, turmeric, oat milk, pepper and half of the salt. Mix together, cooking the tofu mixture for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the tofu scramble from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the remaining oil and salt. Add the mushrooms and rosemary and cook on medium-high heat until the mushrooms become tender.
- To serve, place the tofu onto a plate, top with the mushrooms, avocado slices and a drizzle of the California Avocado Salsa Verde.
Variations: For heat seekers, add 1 jalapeño with seeds removed (with seeds for a real kick) to the blender with the California Avocado Salsa Verde ingredients.
Serving Suggestion: The California Avocado Salsa Verde can be doubled and made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for up to two days.
Beverage Pairing: Enjoy with your favorite morning beverage to jump start your day!
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Did You Know?
You can’t always tell if an avocado is ripe just by its color.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados