Break out of your family’s weeknight dinner rut with this quick-and-easy, kid-approved and flavorful recipe! Citrus marinated grilled tilapia and crunchy California Avocado fries share the stage with a tangy dipping sauce that provides an excellent source of protein, folate, potassium and vitamin C, and good source of dietary fiber and vitamin A per serving. The avocado fries provide a fun and delicious finger food for kids which can be enjoyed as a snack as well.
Citrus Tilapia with Crunchy California Avocado Fries & Tangy Dipping Sauce
Total Time: 45 min
Prep Time: |
(1 serving includes 4 oz. fish, 4 slices of Crunchy California Avocado Fries, 2 Tbsp. of Tangy Dipping Sauce)
Vitamin A 562 IU; Vitamin C 13 mg; Calcium 62 mg; Iron 1 g; Vitamin D 4 mcg ; Folate 70 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.2 g
% Daily Value**: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 20%; Calcium 6%; Iron 6%
IngredientsCrunchy California Avocado Fries Ingredients 1/2 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs) 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper 1/4 tsp. salt 1 tsp. smoked paprika 1 large egg 1 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, peeled, seeded, and cut into 16 thin wedges Citrus Grilled Tilapia Ingredients 1/4 cup Extra virgin olive oil 1/4 cup orange juice 2 Tbsp. white vinegar 1 Tbsp. minced garlic 1 tsp. honey 1/4 tsp. salt 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper 1/2 tsp. ground cumin 1/2 tsp. chili powder or ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes 4 (4-oz.) tilapia fillets As needed Lemon wedge, for garnish Tangy Dipping Sauce Ingredients 1/4 cup low-fat sour cream or plain non-fat Greek yogurt 1 Tbsp. chili garlic hot sauce 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard 1 Tbsp. minced garlic 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
Crunchy California Avocado Fries Instructions
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 400 degrees F. Spray baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In small mixing bowl, combine panko crumbs, black pepper, salt and smoked paprika. In a separate small mixing bowl, add egg and whisk lightly.
- Dip avocado slices in egg and then in panko mixture. Place on baking sheet and bake for 10–12 minutes or until golden brown.
Citrus Tilapia Instructions
- In a zip top bag, combine extra virgin olive oil, orange juice, white vinegar, minced garlic, honey, salt, black pepper, cumin and chili powder. Shake to mix. Add tilapia fillets to bag and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Spray skillet with nonstick spray and heat on stovetop over medium-high heat. Remove tilapia from marinade and add to skillet. Cook 2–3 minutes on each side or until browned. Discard marinade. The tilapia can also be prepared on a hot grill or grill pan for 2–3 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Serve with a fresh lemon wedge, Crunchy California Avocado Fries and Tangy Dipping Sauce.
*For a time saving tip, marinate fish up to eight hours in advance.
Tangy Dipping Sauce Instructions
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.
The citrus grilled tilapia is a versatile recipe. Use your favorite fish or try other flaky, mild white fish varieties such as sole or haddock. Serve over thinly sliced cucumber with fresh herbs and top fish with fresh herbs like dill, basil, or chervil.
Try a zesty and refreshing white wine such as Pinot Grigio.
For a non-alcoholic choice, try spritzer with fresh lime juice, mint and sparkling water.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados