This Vegan Po Boy is piled high with crispy tofu, packed full of southern flavor and slathered with a Cajun remoulade sauce made with California Avocados.
Vegan Po Boy
Total Time: 50 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 79 mcg; Vitamin C 15 mg; Calcium 294 mg; Iron 8 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 102 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.1 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 8%; Vitamin C 15%; Calcium 25%; Iron 45 %; Vitamin D 0%
IngredientsCalifornia Avocado Remoulade Ingredients: 1 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled and halved 1/4 cup pickle juice 2 cloves garlic 2 green onions 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley 2 tsp. mustard 1 tsp. vegan Worcestershire sauce 1/4 tsp. hot sauce Vegan Po-Boy Ingredients: 1 (14-oz) package extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed 1/2 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk 1/3 cup all-purpose flour 3 Tbsp. yellow cornmeal 1 Tbsp. corn starch 2 tsp. paprika 1 tsp. garlic powder 1 tsp. onion powder 3/4 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. ground thyme 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper 1/4 tsp. ground cayenne pepper 1 cup California Avocado Remoulade (see make-ahead recipe above) 4 French sandwich loaves (or 1 large loaf of French bread, cut into 4 pieces) 1 tomato, thinly sliced 1 cup thinly sliced lettuce
California Avocado Remoulade Instructions:
- Add all ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Set aside.
Vegan Po-Boy Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and grease a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Use your hands to break tofu into 1-in. chunks. Place in a shallow bowl and drizzle milk on top of the tofu. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add flour, cornmeal, corn starch, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, thyme, black pepper and cayenne. Stir to combine.
- Dip each tofu chunk into the flour mixture and coat completely. Shake to remove excess flower mixture and place on the baking sheet. Repeat with all tofu chunks.
- Spray tofu generously with more nonstick cooking spray and bake for 30-35 minutes, until crispy and browned.
- To assemble, spread the California Avocado remoulade to taste on both halves of the French bread. Place tomato slices and lettuce on the bottom half of the bread and tofu on top.
Serving Suggestion: Great with your favorite kettle chips.
Beverage Pairing: A tall glass of water or crisp white wine.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Did You Know?
You can’t always tell if an avocado is ripe just by its color.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados