Veggie Lovers Crêpes with California Avocado
|2||oz.||clarified butter for cooking the crepes|
|2||oz.||asiago cheese, shredded|
|8||asparagus spears, blanched|
|12||sun-dried tomatoes, julienned|
|2||marinated portobello mushrooms (recipe follows)|
|4||oz.||pesto (recipe follows)|
|2||Fresh California Avocados, peeled, seeded and sliced*|
|4||oz.||Pickled Red Onions (recipe follows)|
|As needed||pepper to taste|
|Marinated Portobello Mushrooms (Yield: 2 mushrooms)|
|2||portobello mushrooms, cleaned and sliced|
|Pickled Red Onion (Yield: 1 cup)|
|1||small red onion, thinly sliced|
|3/4||cup||rice wine vinegar|
|Pesto (Yield: 2/3 cup)|
|1||oz.||fresh basil leaves|
|3||Garlic cloves, peeled|
|1||Tbsp.||fresh lemon juice|
|1/3||cup||Extra virgin olive oil|
|1||oz.||parmesan cheese, shredded|
|As needed||Salt and pepper to taste|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
Marinated Portobello Mushrooms
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Pickled Red Onion:
- Blanch the onion slices for 15 seconds. Put onion slices into a bowl.
- Bring vinegar, sugar, and salt to boil. Pour over onion slices. Let cool, and refrigerate overnight.
- Blend all ingredients with an immersion blender or in a food processor. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat an 11″ nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add one tablespoon of clarified butter to the pan and swirl to coat it.
- For each crêpe, ladle 3 oz. of batter into the pan, swirling or spreading to evenly coat the entire bottom surface. Once the crepe starts to brown on the edges and pulls away slightly from the pan (1-2 minutes), flip it over.
- Sprinkle on 2 tablespoons of the cheese, and arrange 2 asparagus spears, ¼ of the sun-dried tomato slices, ¼ of the marinated Portobello mushrooms down the center of the crepe. Add 2-1/2 Tbsp. of pesto and a little freshly ground pepper. Let cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Once the crepe is golden on the underside and the cheese is beginning to crisp, gently loosen the crepe from the pan and slide it off the skillet onto a work surface.
- Add ¼ of the avocado slices, 1 oz. of the pickled red onions, and about a ¼ oz. of spinach on top of the other ingredients. Gently roll the crepe up and transfer to a plate. To go serving option: Wrap the bottom of the crêpe in an aluminum foil square, leaving the top exposed and ready to eat.
- Repeat with remaining crepe batter and ingredients. Serve.
* Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger avocados, adjust the quantity accordingly.