I created these tasty gems, which can serve as a light main-dish lunch or as an appetite-piquing starter course,. If you’re seeking even more adventure, roll the wraps in pre-soaked edible rice papers for a unique presentation and added texture.
Vietnamese Cool Shrimp & Avocado Lettuce Wraps
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|1||lb.||medium-sized peeled and deveined shrimp (41-45 individual shrimp), thawed|
|As needed||Ice, for cooling|
|3||Tbsp.||olive oil mayonnaise|
|1/2||cup||coarsely shredded carrots, plus additional for garnishing|
|1||lime, juiced (about 3 Tbsp.)|
|1||tsp.||Thai fish sauce (found in the Asian section of grocery store or substitute 1/4 tsp. soy sauce)|
|1/4||tsp.||Asian chili garlic sauce (or hot sauce)|
|1/4||tsp.||freshly ground black pepper|
|1/8||tsp.||Chinese 5 spice powder (found in the Asian section of grocery store or substitute with a pinch each of ground cinnamon and ginger)|
|1||ripe Fresh California Avocado, peeled, seeded and diced into 1/4 inch pieces|
|4-6 basil leaves, stacked, rolled lengthwise, and thinly sliced crosswise (or 1/4 teaspoon dried basil), plus additional for garnishing|
|1||head bibb or Boston lettuce, washed, drained, blotted and separated into “cups”|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Fill a medium saucepan with 1 quart water.
- Squeeze the lemon juice into the pan and add the lemon half.
- Put pan over high heat on stove top and bring to a boil.
- Once water has come to a boil, add shrimp, remove from heat and allow to sit while continuing to cook for 3 – 5 minutes, until opaque in the center and no longer gray.
- Add a couple scoops of ice to the pot to cool shrimp quickly while retaining flavor.
- Drain and remove shells. Chop into smaller bite-size pieces.
- In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, carrots, lime juice, fish sauce, chile sauce, pepper, 5-spice and garlic powder.
- Add shrimp, avocado and basil to mayonnaise mixture and fold together.
- On a flat surface, lay a larger leaf facing upward like a bowl, place a smaller leaf on top and fill it with 1/4 cup of shrimp mixture.
- Fill remaining lettuce cups, and garnish each with additional carrots and fresh basil.
*Large avocados are recommended for these recipes. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Copyright © 2012, Michelle Dudash
Vitamin A 34% DV, Vitamin C 9% DV, Calcium 2% DV, Iron 7% DV