This stuffed chicken from a registered dietitian blogger is one that we would call comfort food. Imagine chicken stuffed with artichokes and avocados. The creamy richness of the avocado mixed with the flavorful artichokes does a dance in your mouth. And, if great taste was not enough, this recipe is packed with nutrients including 50% DV Vitamin A, 35% Vitamin C, 8% Iron, 1070 mg of potassium and 9 g of dietary fiber. Enjoy.
Avocado Artichoke Pesto Stuffed Chicken
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|2||ripe, Fresh California Avocados*|
|1/2||cup||chopped fresh basil|
|1/4||cup||low fat cottage cheese|
|1/2||tsp.||red pepper seasoning|
|1/2||(14-oz.) can artichokes, drained and chopped|
|4||large chicken breasts|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- In high speed blender or food processor, add all filling ingredients (avocado through smoked paprika); blend until smooth.
- Stir in chopped artichokes. Place in fridge until needed.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Take out chicken breast, and butterfly with knife (cut breast in half horizontally but not all the way through so that it is still in one piece).
- Place 1/4 filling mixture in each breast, and fold back top half of chicken to "close".
- In a shallow bowl, mix remaining dried seasonings and salt together. Sprinkle rub mixture on each breast on both sides, and place on a cookie pan sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Cook in oven for about 20 minutes, or until chicken is done.
Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Vitamin A 2706 IU; Vitamin C 952 mg; Calcium 44 mg; Iron 1.6 mg; Vitamin D 6 IU; Folate 117 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.2 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 50%; Vitamin C 35%; Calcium 4%; Iron 8 %;