Zesty, juicy grilled chicken is sensational when topped with marinated California Avocados and served with a purple sweet potato hash.
Crispy Chicken with Stokes Purple® Sweet Potato Apple Hash and California Avocado Escabeche
Total Time: 30 min
Ingredients4 (6 oz.) boneless chicken thighs or breasts, with skin As needed Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste 2 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil 2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice 2 Tbsp. fresh oregano leaves, chopped 3 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil 1/2 red onion, julienned 1 pinch of ground allspice 1 pinch of ground cloves 1 pinch ground cumin 1/4 tsp. dried oregano 1 pinch cracked black pepper 1/2 tsp. agave syrup 2 Tbsp. white vinegar 2 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled, and cut in 1/2-inch dice 2 cups Purple Sweet Potato Hash for serving Stokes Purple® Sweet Potato and Apple Hash 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter or extra virgin olive oil 1 large yellow onion, peeled and diced 1/2 lb. Stokes Purple® Sweet Potato, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice 1/2 lb. Pink Lady apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch dice As needed Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste As needed Water, as needed As needed Crema or Cream Fraiche for garnish
- In a shallow dish, season chicken on all sides with salt and pepper. Combine olive oil, lime juice, and oregano in a small bowl and pour over chicken, tossing to evenly coat. Allow to marinate at room temperature for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Preheat broiler or grill. Beginning with skin side toward the heat source, broil or grill chicken until skin is crispy, then flip and continue cooking until just cooked through, about 12 minutes per side for thighs and about 9 minutes per side for breasts.
- Meanwhile, make the avocado escabeche: Heat sauté pan over medium heat and add olive oil, julienned onions, salt and fresh ground black pepper. Cook, stirring often until onion caramelizes, about 10 minutes. Add allspice, cloves, cumin, oregano and cracked black pepper and cook briefly to release aromas. Remove from heat and add vinegar and agave. Pour hot escabeche over diced avocado and toss gently.
- To serve, arrange grilled chicken over a bed of Sweet Potato Hash. Spoon avocado escabeche onto crispy chicken and serve immediately.
Stokes Purple® Sweet Potato and Apple Hash
- Place a medium pot with a tight fitting cover on medium heat, add butter and onions, salt and pepper. When heated through and starting to caramelize add sweet potato chunks and then apple chunks.
- Cook, covered tightly, over medium heat, stirring every 5 minutes, adding water as needed to prevent scorching, until tender throughout and starting to break down, about 20 to 25 minutes. Serve immediately drizzled with crema.
Beverage Pairing: Try with the chef’s recipe for Border Grill Bloody Maria cocktails.
Copyright © 2013, Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger, bordergrill.com
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados