Classic banana bread that uses creamy Fresh California Avocado to replace shortening and oil. The result is very moist and great for breakfast, snacks, tea time or dessert, providing a good source (10% DV or more) of fiber, protein, calcium and iron.
Avocado Banana Bread
Total Time: 30 min
Prep Time: |
Ingredients1/3 cup old-fashioned oats (1 minute or regular) 1 cup all purpose flour 1 tsp. baking powder 1 tsp. baking soda 1 tsp. cinnamon 1/2 tsp. salt 2/3 cup mashed ripe, Fresh California Avocado* 3/4 cup (packed) brown sugar* 2 Eggs 1 cup mashed very ripe bananas* 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional 1/4 cup buttermilk
- Line a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan with nonstick foil and lightly grease the bottom only.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine dry ingredients: oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- Beat mashed avocado and brown sugar together using an electric mixer until creamy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in mashed bananas, then walnuts and dry ingredients.
- Stir in buttermilk and beat just until buttermilk is incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake in preheated oven for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes. Test with a toothpick.
Serving Suggestion: Sprinkle cooled bread with powdered sugar, if desired.
Beverage Pairing: Hot tea or cold milk.
*Recipe Notes: For a sweeter bread, increase brown sugar to 1 cup; for a denser bread also add 1/4 cup avocado or vegetable oil and increase baking time as needed. One large avocado will yield about 2/3 cup mashed avocado. Two small bananas will yield about 1 cup mashed banana.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados