2011 California Avocado Commission Foodservice Chef Competition Winner: Hot Application. Chef Hildreth created this winning dessert recipe for the 2011 California Avocado Commission Foodservice chef competition. Check out the demonstration video below!
Baked Alaska California-Style
Ingredients1 French Vanilla, white or yellow cake mix California Avocado Fillling, (recipe follows) Meringue, (recipe follows) Fresh raspberries and/or blackberries, as needed for garnish California Avocado Filling (Yield: 5 cups) 11 oz. Sweetened condensed milk 3 Fresh California Avocados** 2 oz. lime juice 4 1/2 oz. honey 1 tsp. vanilla extract 8 oz. Heavy Cream 8 oz. Greek yogurt Meringue (Yield: approx. 8 cups) 8 Fresh Egg Whites 9 oz. powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to temperature indicated on cake mix package. Prepare cake mix according package directions.
- Line a half-sheet pan with parchment paper. Pour prepared batter onto sheet pan, smoothing to even out the batter. Bake 15-18 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cake cool in pan. When cool, cover with parchment paper, and flip upside down and remove sheet pan.
- Cut cake in half to make 2 thin layers. Using 4-6 soup cups (depending on their size) as molds, cut out cake pieces to line the bottom, top, and sides of cups. Line each soup cup with the cake pieces (except for the tops), and set aside.
California Avocado Filling
- Place the first 5 ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add the heavy cream and blend until slightly thickened. Add the Greek yogurt and blend to combine. Store the mixture in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Once the cakes have been frozen, prepare the meringue. Place all egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer and whip to stiff peaks. Add the powdered sugar and whip until smooth and glossy.
- Pour the avocado filling into each cake-lined soup cup, filling almost to the top. Place the cut out cake tops on top of the filling. Place cups on a tray and freeze for at least 12 hours.
- Remove cakes from freezer. Unmold them onto oven-proof plates. Spread/pipe meringue decoratively over each cake. Refreeze for at least another 12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Bake the cakes for 8-12 minutes until golden. Remove from oven, and let rest for 1 minute before adding garnishes. Serve.
*A large Fresh California Avocado weighs about 8 oz.
Watch Chef Hildreth demonstrate how to make the Baked Alaska California Style
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados