Beef “California Roll” Salad
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|3||boneless beef Top Loin (Strip) steaks, cut 3/4 inch thick (about 8 ounces each)|
|2||Tbsp.||minced fresh ginger|
|1||English cucumber, thinly sliced|
|1 1/2||tsp.||minced fresh ginger|
|2||cups||packaged matchstick carrots|
|1||Tbsp.||toasted sesame seeds|
|1||medium ripe, Fresh California Avocado, diced|
|1/2||cup||fresh pomegranate seeds|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Combine Marinade ingredients in small bowl. Place beef steaks and marinade in food-safe plastic bag; turn steaks to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 15 minutes to 2 hours.
- Prepare Wasabi Cucumbers. Combine wasabi paste and pomegranate juice in medium bowl. Add cucumbers; toss to coat. Set aside; refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Prepare Gingered Carrots. Combine mayonnaise and ginger in another medium bowl. Add carrots; toss to coat. Set aside; refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Remove steaks from marinade; discard marinade. Place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, uncovered, 10 to 12 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 7 to 10 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally.
- Carve steaks into thin slices. Place cucumbers and carrots side by side on plate; top with beef. Top with avocado and pomegranate seeds; sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Cook's Tip: English or hothouse cucumbers are often sold wrapped in plastic. They have almost no seeds and thin, edible skins. Three cups sliced, regular cucumber may be substituted.
Cook's Tip: To toast sesame seeds, cook them in an ungreased skillet over medium heat about 5 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Watch carefully to prevent burning.
Cook's Tip: Packaged fresh pomegranate seeds (also called arils) are available in the produce section of some supermarkets.
Recipe and photo courtesy of The Beef Checkoff
7.7 mg niacin; 0.6 mg vitamin B6; 1.4 mcg vitamin B12; 4.3 mg iron; 29.1 mcg selenium; 4.8 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber.