Beef “California Roll” Salad
Total Time: 10 min
7.7 mg niacin; 0.6 mg vitamin B6; 1.4 mcg vitamin B12; 4.3 mg iron; 29.1 mcg selenium; 4.8 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber.
Ingredients3 boneless beef Top Loin (Strip) steaks, cut 3/4 inch thick (about 8 ounces each) Marinade 1/3 cup hoisin sauce 1/4 cup pomegranate juice 2 Tbsp. minced garlic 2 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger 1 Tbsp. sesame oil 1/2 tsp. pepper Wasabi Cucumbers 2 tsp. wasabi paste 1 tsp. pomegranate juice 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced Gingered Carrots 1 Tbsp. mayonnaise 1 1/2 tsp. minced fresh ginger 2 cups packaged matchstick carrots Garnish 1 Tbsp. toasted sesame seeds 1 medium ripe, Fresh California Avocado, diced 1/2 cup fresh pomegranate seeds
- Combine Marinade ingredients in small bowl. Place beef steaks and marinade in food-safe plastic bag; turn steaks to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 15 minutes to 2 hours.
- Prepare Wasabi Cucumbers. Combine wasabi paste and pomegranate juice in medium bowl. Add cucumbers; toss to coat. Set aside; refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Prepare Gingered Carrots. Combine mayonnaise and ginger in another medium bowl. Add carrots; toss to coat. Set aside; refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Remove steaks from marinade; discard marinade. Place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, uncovered, 10 to 12 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 7 to 10 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally.
- Carve steaks into thin slices. Place cucumbers and carrots side by side on plate; top with beef. Top with avocado and pomegranate seeds; sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Cook’s Tip: English or hothouse cucumbers are often sold wrapped in plastic. They have almost no seeds and thin, edible skins. Three cups sliced, regular cucumber may be substituted.
Cook’s Tip: To toast sesame seeds, cook them in an ungreased skillet over medium heat about 5 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Watch carefully to prevent burning.
Cook’s Tip: Packaged fresh pomegranate seeds (also called arils) are available in the produce section of some supermarkets.
Recipe and photo courtesy of The Beef Checkoff
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados