This updated twist on a BLT uses roasted potato slices as the “bread” with a creamy avocado topping, and bacon, lettuce, and tomato. Use purple or red baby or new potatoes for added color and vitamin C, which helps makes this dish an excellent source of Vitamin C per serving. To save time, use commercial bacon bits and microwave the potato slices for 5 minutes instead of roasting.
BLT & Avocado Potato Bites
|3||baby potatoes (3/4” in diameter each)|
|1/4||ripe Fresh California Avocado, halved, seeded and peeled|
|2||leaves butter lettuce|
|5||cherry tomatoes, quartered|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 450 degrees F.
- Spray baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Slice potatoes into 4 slices per potato. Spread potato slices on baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes or until golden.
- Mash avocado and spread on slightly cooled potato slices.
- Top each with torn lettuce and one-quarter cherry tomato.
- Sprinkle bacon bits on top.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Copyright © 2014, Katie Ferraro, MPH, RD, CDE
Calories 90; Total Fat 3 g (Sat 0.5 g, Trans 0 g, Poly 0 g, Mono 1 g); Cholesterol <5 mg; Sodium 50 mg; Potassium 460 mg; Total Carbohydrates 13 g; Dietary Fiber 2 g; Total Sugars 2 g; Protein 3 g; Vitamin A 189 IU; Vitamin C 19 mg; Calcium 13 mg; Iron 1 mg; Vitamin D 0 IU; Folate 32; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.03 g
% Daily Value*: Total Fat 5%; Vitamin A 4%; Vitamin C 30%; Calcium 0%; Iron 4%