This updated twist on a BLT uses roasted potato slices as the “bread” with a creamy avocado topping, and bacon, lettuce, and tomato. Use purple or red baby or new potatoes for added color and vitamin C, which helps makes this dish an excellent source of Vitamin C per serving. To save time, use commercial bacon bits and microwave the potato slices for 5 minutes instead of roasting.
BLT & Avocado Potato Bites
Total Time: 10 min
Ingredients3 baby potatoes (3/4” in diameter each) 1/4 ripe Fresh California Avocado, halved, seeded and peeled 2 leaves butter lettuce 5 cherry tomatoes, quartered 1 Tbsp. bacon bits
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 450 degrees F.
- Spray baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Slice potatoes into 4 slices per potato. Spread potato slices on baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes or until golden.
- Mash avocado and spread on slightly cooled potato slices.
- Top each with torn lettuce and one-quarter cherry tomato.
- Sprinkle bacon bits on top.
Copyright © 2014, Katie Ferraro, MPH, RD, CDE
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados