This refreshing and wholesome salad is perfect for those warm summer days and provides a high potency of vitamin E (110% DV), an antioxidant that helps keep the immune system strong and vitamin K (240% DV).
California Avocado and Tomato Panzanella Salad
Total Time: 25 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 315 mcg; Vitamin C 82 mg; Calcium 148 mg; Iron 9 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 204 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.86 g % Daily Value*: Vitamin A 35%; Vitamin C 90%; Calcium 10%; Iron 50 %; Vitamin D 0%
Ingredients5 slices rustic crusty bread, torn into bite-sized pieces 1 tsp. garlic powder 1/2 cup and 3 Tbsp. olive oil per 2 servings, divided 1 small shallot, roughly chopped 2 cups fresh basil 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper 1 clove garlic, peeled 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar 1/2 tsp. salt, divided, to taste 1/2 tsp. pepper, divided, to taste 5 large heirloom tomatoes, sliced 1 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled, sliced 4 oz. vegan ricotta cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 425º
- To toast the croutons, place the bite-sized pieces of bread on a baking sheet, sprinkle the garlic powder and drizzle 3 Tbsp. of olive oil. Toss well and toast in the oven until crispy, about 7 minutes.
- While the croutons are toasting, make the basil vinaigrette by blending together olive oil, shallot, basil, red pepper, garlic clove and vinegar until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, set aside. Take croutons out of the oven.
- Assemble the salad by layering the tomatoes, croutons, avocado and ricotta on a platter.
- Drizzle with the basil vinaigrette and serve.
Serving Suggestion: Serve as an appetizer with some additional bread. Beverage Pairing: Pair with your white wine of choice or a light beer.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Did You Know?
You can’t always tell if an avocado is ripe just by its color.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados