Whenever I’m making spring rolls, my boys pull out their happy dance. And then they are by my side in a flash, asking if they can help to fill and roll. Serve the rolls whole, especially if you’re serving them as an entree for lunch or dinner, or cut them in half for perfect bite-sized appetizers.
Shrimp, California Avocado & Rice Noodle Spring Rolls
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|4||oz.||package rice noodles|
|1/4||lb.||large shrimp, peeled and deveined|
|16||rice noodle spring roll wrappers|
|1||ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled and thinly sliced|
|1||red bell pepper, thinly sliced and cut in half|
|8||large basil leaves, thinly sliced|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Cook the rice noodles according to package instructions. Drain and rinse in cold water. Using kitchen shears, cut the noodles into small pieces.
- Set a medium saucepan of water of high heat and bring the water to a boil. Add the shrimp and cook until the shrimp are just cooked through, 60 to 90 seconds. Drain and immediately transfer to a bowl of ice water to stop the shrimp from cooking further. Drain and cut the shrimp in half lengthwise.
- Fill a shallow baking dish with hot water. Working with one spring roll wrapper at a time, soak the wrapper in the hot water until soft. Place the wrapper on a cutting board.
- Lay one shrimp half, one slice of avocado, 1/4 cup of the noodles, two bell pepper half slices and a sprinkling of basil into the middle of the wrapper.
- Fold in the sides and roll tightly. Repeat with remaining wrappers and ingredients. Cut the rolls in half, if desired. Serve with soy sauce or a store-bought gyoza sauce.
Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Copyright © 2013, Dara Michalski
Vitamin A 420 IU; Vitamin C 11 mg; Calcium 9 mg; Iron 0 mg; Vitamin D 11 IU; Folate 17 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.02 g
% Daily Value*: Total Fat 4%; Vitamin A 8%; Vitamin C 20%; Calcium 0%; Iron 4%