This avocado cocktail recipe takes a bold stance and new approach to the age-old debate of savory versus sweet, with smoky notes from chipotle pepper.
California Avocado Barbacoa Cocktail
Total Time: 40 min
Prep Time: |
Ingredients1 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, peeled, seeded and cut into 1” cubes 1 1/2 cups crushed ice 4 oz. mezcal 2 oz. fresh lime juice 2 oz. agave nectar 1 tsp. chipotle pepper, minced Ginger Syrup, see make-ahead recipe below Ginger Syrup 1 cup water 1/2 cup agave nectar 3 Tbsp. ginger, unpeeled and cut into 1/2" slices
- Combine avocado, crushed ice, mescal, lime juice, agave nectar, chipotle pepper and 1.5 ounces of Ginger Syrup in a blender and mix until smooth.
- Divide the mixture into two highball glasses.
- Top with 0.5 ounce of Ginger Syrup and serve immediately.
Ginger Syrup Instructions:
- In a small saucepan, combine the water, agave nectar and slices of ginger.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat and simmer for five minutes.
- Cover, remove from heat and steep for 30 minutes.
- Pour the syrup through a strainer to discard the ginger slices and set aside until ready to use.
Serving Suggestion: For a savory garnish and pop of color, place small strips of beef jerky and red bell pepper in each glass before serving.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Did You Know?
Hydration is very important when exercising. Check out these five ways you can eat to complete. And if you’re hungry, check out these California Avocado recipes for sandwiches, burgers and wraps.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados