California Avocado Bruffin
|Brioche Dough (recipe follows)|
|Filling (recipe follows)|
|8 1/4||cups||unbleached all-purpose flour|
|3||Tbsp.||active dry yeast|
|1 1/2||cups||lukewarm water|
|8||large eggs, lightly beaten|
|2||cups||unsalted butter, melted|
|3||Fresh California Avocado*, peeled, pitted and sliced|
|1||cup||sharp, cheddar cheese, shredded|
|3||Tbsp.||green onions, cut small circles|
|1/2||cup||sun-dried tomatoes, chopped|
|1||cup||bacon, cooked and diced (reserve bacon grease to brush on finished Bruffins)|
|5||Tbsp.||rendered bacon fat from pre-cooking the bacon|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt and yeast.
- Add water, eggs, honey and melted butter to the flour mixture, stirring until the ingredients come together to form a shaggy ball. Cover the bowl loosely with plastic wrap and put it in a warm place to rise for 2 hours. At this point, the dough will be very sticky; transfer it to the refrigerator to chill for at least 2 hours (or up to 5 days).
- Once the dough has chilled and is easier to handle, transfer it to a floured work surface. Fold the dough over 3-4 times to develop the gluten. Then let it rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Divide into 2 even balls then roll out each ball into a 12″ x 16″ x ½”-thick rectangle. Brush the entire surface with the rendered bacon grease. Sprinkle filling in an even layer over the top of the dough and then roll it up lengthwise into a long log. Use a serrated knife to cut the dough log into 8 equal segments.
- Butter/baking release 16 jumbo muffin cups. Place each segments into a muffin cup, cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise until the dough is puffed (approximately 1 hour, depending on the environment), or put in a proofing box for about 10-15 minutes.
- When the dough has almost finished rising, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake for 20 minutes the reduce heat to 300°F. Rotate pans and cook for another 15-20 minutes or until golden. Remove the rolls from the muffin cups and let cool completely. Brush lightly with more rendered bacon fat while cooling and a light sprinkling of sea salt.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger avocados, adjust the quantity accordingly.