California Avocado Black Bean Soup
Total Time: 35 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 48 mcg; Vitamin C 19 mg; Calcium 95 mg; Iron 4 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 104 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.19 g
Ingredients2 Tbsp. olive oil 1 small onion, diced 2 cloves garlic, minced 6 uncooked bacon, chopped 2 Tbsp. chili powder 2 cups medium or hot salsa 3 cans black beans, (15-oz. each), drained 3 cups chicken broth 3 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled and diced 1 lime, zest only Shredded cheese, sour cream, diced tomatoes for garnish, optional
- In a large stock pot sauté onion, garlic and bacon in olive oil for approximately 5 minutes, or until onions are soft and bacon is crisp.
- Add chili powder and sauté an additional 2 minutes.
- Pour in the salsa, black beans and chicken broth. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove 1 cup of soup mixture and carefully puree in a food processor. Return to the pot, stirring to incorporate pureed mixture fully.
- Stir in diced California Avocado and lime zest. Heat through.
- Serve warm, adding cheese, sour cream and diced tomatoes for garnish.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Did You Know?
You can’t always tell if an avocado is ripe just by its color.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados