A sweet and spicy fruit and vegetable salad that features crisp sweet potato “noodles” with apples and a creamy curry avocado dressing. You can enjoy this recipe knowing you are getting less of what you don’t need (cholesterol free and on 4 mcg of sodium) and more of what you do need; an excellent source of fiber and calcium and a good source of potassium and protein.
Curried Sweet Potato Noodle Salad
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|1/4||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, peeled, seeded and diced|
|1/3||cup||Greek yogurt, non-fat, plain|
|2||Tbsp.||apple cider vinegar|
|1/2||tsp.||ginger, fresh, minced|
|2||Tbsp.||water, and additional if necessary to thin|
|1||sweet potato, medium to large|
|1||apple, sweet, medium|
|1/4||cup||California walnuts, halved, toasted and chopped|
|3/4||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, peeled, seeded and diced|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Combine all the dressing ingredients into a blender, and blend until smooth.
- If the dressing seems very thick, thin with an additional Tbsp. or two of water.
- Set the dressing aside while you prepare the salad.
- Peel the sweet potato and the apple, and with a spiralizer or a julienne slicer, slice them into “noodles”.
- Place the sweet potato and apple noodles into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the raisins, scallions, and walnuts and toss lightly to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, and toss well to coat everything with the dressing.
- Top with avocado chunks.
- Add salt, taste and adjust salt if necessary.
- Serve immediately.
Note: Sweet potato noodles are easier to eat if they are snipped – they are very long when spiralized.
Serving Suggestion: Serve for a vegetarian lunch or a light dinner. Optional: top with shredded rotisserie chicken.
Beverage Pairing: Fruited or green iced tea, fruit-infused water, or a light white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Vitamin A 1 mcg; Vitamin C 0.1 mg; Calcium 27 mg; Iron 1 mg ; Vitamin D 8 mcg; Folate 18 mcg
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 20%; Vitamin C 4%; Calcium 25%; Iron 0 %; Vitamin D 8%