These crispy California Avocado Chicken Taquitos are perfect for your weeknight dinners – or even for a group and are topped with a creamy California Avocado salsa verde.
California Avocado Chicken Taquitos
Total Time: 40 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 58 mcg; Vitamin C 11 mg; Calcium 17 mg; Iron 1 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 50 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.15 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%; Vitamin C 10%; Calcium 2%; Iron 6 %; Vitamin D 0%
IngredientsSpice Blend: 1/4 tsp. salt 1/4 tsp. ancho chile, ground 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika 1/4 tsp. cumin, ground 1/4 tsp. coriander seed, ground 1/4 tsp. oregano, dried 1/8 tsp. chipotle, ground 1/8 tsp. clove, ground Ingredients: 1/4 cup ghee, divided 1 garlic clove, minced 1 1/4 lb. chicken boneless skinless, diced (I use 1 breast and 1 thigh, any type will do) 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar 1 1/2 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled, chopped 1/4 cup shallot, fine diced 1/4 cup cilantro, fine chopped 3 Tbsp. lime juice 10 grain free tortillas 1/8 tsp. salt, or to taste California Avocado Salsa Verde Ingredients: 2 jalapeños, roasted, peeled and seeded 1/2 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled, chopped 1/2 cup water 1/4 cup shallots, diced 1/4 cup cilantro, whole leaves 2 Tbsp. lime juice 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar 1/4 tsp. cumin seed, whole, toasted 1/4 tsp. coriander seed, whole, toasted 1/8 tsp. fennel seed, whole, toasted
- Combine ingredients of the spice blend in a small bowl, stir together and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat with the 1 tbsp of ghee.
- When the pan is hot, add garlic to sauté for a few seconds before adding the chicken and the spice blend. Stir and allow to cook a minute or two.
- When the chicken is beginning to appear mostly cooked add the rice vinegar and cook until there is no moisture left in the pan, stirring occasionally throughout. Remove from heat and set aside to cool a bit.
- In a large mixing bowl add the chopped avocado, shallot, cilantro, lime juice, and some salt to taste. Mix together with a fork, lightly mashing the avocado if needed. Leave the mixture fairly chunky.
- Add the chicken to the avocado and mix until just fully incorporated.
- Heat a large enough pan for a tortilla over medium heat, then warm the tortillas one at a time. About 15 seconds per side should do, you just want them warm enough so that they roll without splitting open. Place them in some foil (or a tortilla warmer if you have one) to keep them warm.
- Once all tortillas are ready, lay them out and put roughly a ¼ cup of the avocado filling in each, roll them, trying to spread the filling to the ends without falling out, then toothpick them closed, place on a tray until all are filled.
- Heat a small to medium sauté pan with 3t of ghee over medium heat, place the tacos into the pan seam side down, cook for roughly 30 seconds to a minute, then turn, cook another 30 seconds to a minute and turn again, cook for 30 seconds to a minute then remove to a plate. Repeat this process until all tacos are cooked. You may use the same pan with ghee, remove any larger bits of filling that may have fallen out before adding the next batch. Depending on the size of your pan this may take 2-4 rounds of frying.
- Once all taquitos are fried, serve them with our avocado salsa verde and any other fixings you like, such as, shredded lettuce and diced onions.
California Avocado Salsa Verde Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350. Toast cumin, coriander, and fennel seeds on a sheet pan in the oven for 4-5 minutes. They will be fragrant. Let cool slightly.
- If you have a gas stove, turn the heat on to medium-high and place jalapeños on to the grate. Turn often until they are completely blackened. Turn off flame and let cool.
- Once jalapeños are cooled, use a paper towel to wipe off the outer layer. Cut off the stem and remove seeds. Roughly chop the jalapeno.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until a uniform texture has come together, this may take a few pauses to scrape the sides down to achieve. Making the sauce in the food processor will leave it less than fully smooth with some bits of whole or just cracked spices, if you’d prefer a smooth salsa, combine all ingredients in a high-speed blender and puree, again a pause or two to scrape the sides may be necessary.
Serving Suggestion: Serve on a bed of shredded lettuce with avocado salsa verde, red onion, and cilantro on top. Dip tortilla chips into any extra salsa you have!
Beverage Pairing: Enjoy with a lager or pilsner beer with fresh lime.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados