Chicken Adobo and California Avocado Fried Rice Topped with Pickled Vegetables
|1||cup||blended vegetable oil, or vegetable oil|
|1||chicken breast, boneless, skinless, diced into 1" cubes|
|1/8||tsp.||black pepper, or to taste|
|2 2/3||Tbsp.||garlic, chopped|
|2 2/3||Tbsp.||white vinegar|
|1/4||cup||garlic, chopped, fried for topping|
|2||ripe, Fresh California Avocados, peeled, seeded and diced|
|Pickled Vegetables, (see make-ahead recipe below)|
|Pickled Vegetables Ingredients|
|1||red onion, peeled and sliced thinly|
|1||red pepper, or yellow pepper, seeded and sliced thinly|
|1/4||ginger root, peeled and sliced|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- In a saute pan, add ½ cup of oil and heat to medium temperature.
- Add one egg at a time, yolk-side up, frying to preferred doneness and set each aside.
- In the same saute pan, add the rest of the oil and heat to high temperature.
- Add chicken to saucepan and season with black pepper, cooking until chicken is light brown.
- Add in the garlic and sauté with the chicken until garlic is light brown.
- Add chicken stock, soy sauce, white vinegar, bay leaves, sugar and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves, add steamed rice and continue to sauté until rice is evenly coated with the sauce.
- Scoop chicken and rice mixture into serving bowls.
- Top each bowl with a fried egg and sprinkle with scallions and fried garlic.
- Finish with Pickled Vegetables and avocado.
Picked Vegetables Instructions
- Mix onion and pepper in a bowl with salt for five minutes to remove excess moisture.
- Combine white vinegar, sugar, water, ginger, bay leaf, mustard seeds and star anise to create the pickling liquid and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Place pickling liquid in saucepot and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Pour pickling liquid over peppers and onions and set aside until mixture is room temperature (about 15 minutes), then drain and set aside.
Serving Suggestion: To maximize texture, lessen normal cooking times for a softer yolk when frying your eggs.
Beverage Pairing: Due to the sweet vinegar of the pickled peppers and adobo sauce, enjoy this dish with a bright IPA. The beer’s fruit aromas and strong hop varieties pair perfectly with the fried rice’s richness.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.