California Avocado & Egg Wheat Berry Toast Nosh Box
Ingredients12 large eggs 12 slices wheat berry bread, ¾" thick 6 Fresh California Avocados, halved, seeded, peeled cup lemon juice Baigan Bartha (recipe follows) Baigan Bartha (Yield: 2 cups) 2 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. canola oil, divided 1 lb. eggplant 1/2 tsp. cumin seed 1 1/4 cups diced yellow onion 1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger root 2 Tbsp. minced jalapeno pepper 1/4 tsp. chili powder 1/4 tsp. paprika 1 3/4 cups diced tomato 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- Place eggs in a large pot and fill with enough cold water to cover eggs by two inches. Bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes. Drain and place eggs in ice water. Peel eggs; refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Rub the eggplant with 1 tsp. of canola oil. Prick the eggplant skin with a fork. Cut each eggplant in half lengthwise. Bake, skin side up, for 45 minutes. Cool, remove eggplant skin and roughly chop the flesh.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. of canola oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add cumin seeds. Cook for 30 seconds or until they begin to crackle.
- Add onions, cook until translucent and tender, stirring occasionally. Add ginger and jalapeno, cook for 2 minutes. Add chili powder, paprika and eggplant. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add tomatoes. Cook for 8 minutes, or until the oil separates, stirring continuously. Add salt. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before using.
Assemble, per order:
- Slice each egg crosswise into eight equal slices, keeping the egg shape. (An egg slicer will produce the best results)
- Toast bread slices, then cut each slice in half.
- Sprinkle each avocado half with 1 tsp. of lemon juice to fully cover. Slice each avocado half into ¼” thick slices, keeping the avocado shape.*
- Place 2 to 2 ½ Tbsp. of Baigan Bartha in a small to-go container and cover with lid.
- Arrange to fit in a single-serve to-go container: 1 piece of toast (cut in half) to one side, 1 sliced avocado half, 1 sliced egg next to avocado and the container of Baigan Bartha.
- Place lid on container. Hold until ready to serve.
*For advance prep, avocados can be halved, sliced in the shell and sprinkled with lemon juice before assembly.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados