California Avocado & Egg Wheat Berry Toast Nosh Box
|12||slices||wheat berry bread, ¾" thick|
|6||Fresh California Avocados, halved, seeded, peeled|
|Baigan Bartha (recipe follows)|
|(Yield: 2 cups)|
|2||Tbsp.||+ 1 tsp. canola oil, divided|
|1 1/4||cups||diced yellow onion|
|1||Tbsp.||minced fresh ginger root|
|2||Tbsp.||minced jalapeno pepper|
|1 3/4||cups||diced tomato|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Place eggs in a large pot and fill with enough cold water to cover eggs by two inches. Bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes. Drain and place eggs in ice water. Peel eggs; refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Rub the eggplant with 1 tsp. of canola oil. Prick the eggplant skin with a fork. Cut each eggplant in half lengthwise. Bake, skin side up, for 45 minutes. Cool, remove eggplant skin and roughly chop the flesh.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. of canola oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add cumin seeds. Cook for 30 seconds or until they begin to crackle.
- Add onions, cook until translucent and tender, stirring occasionally. Add ginger and jalapeno, cook for 2 minutes. Add chili powder, paprika and eggplant. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add tomatoes. Cook for 8 minutes, or until the oil separates, stirring continuously. Add salt. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before using.
Assemble, per order:
- Slice each egg crosswise into eight equal slices, keeping the egg shape. (An egg slicer will produce the best results)
- Toast bread slices, then cut each slice in half.
- Sprinkle each avocado half with 1 tsp. of lemon juice to fully cover. Slice each avocado half into ¼” thick slices, keeping the avocado shape.*
- Place 2 to 2 ½ Tbsp. of Baigan Bartha in a small to-go container and cover with lid.
- Arrange to fit in a single-serve to-go container: 1 piece of toast (cut in half) to one side, 1 sliced avocado half, 1 sliced egg next to avocado and the container of Baigan Bartha.
- Place lid on container. Hold until ready to serve.
*For advance prep, avocados can be halved, sliced in the shell and sprinkled with lemon juice before assembly.
Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.