California Avocado, Endive, Poached Prawn Salad
IngredientsAs needed Poached Prawns (recipe follows) As needed Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette (recipe follows) As needed California Avocado Endive Salad (recipe follows) As needed Thyme-Honey Almond Pesto (recipe follows) 4 oz. black olive tapenade 1 oz. olive oil Poached Prawns (Yield: 12 prawns) 12 prawns, butterflied (size 16/20) 1/4 oz. garlic cloves, crushed (2 cloves) As needed Fresno chili, cut into quarters (1 chili) 3 sprigs marjoram, bruised 1 1/2-inch piece of ginger, peeled, roughly chopped 1 qt. avocado oil Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette (Yield: 1-2/3 cup) 8 oz. Extra virgin olive oil 4 oz. Meyer lemon juice 1 tsp. salt 1/4 tsp. pepper California Avocado Endive Salad (Yield: 4 cups) 13 oz. large dice Fresh California Avocados 12 oz. endive (6 heads), cut into 1/2-inch pieces Thyme-Honey Almond Pesto (Yield: 1-1/4 cups) 8 oz. olive oil 2/3 oz. thyme (1 bunch), finely chopped 2 oz. honey 1 garlic clove, microplaned 2 oz. almonds, roughly chopped 1 oz. lemon juice 1 tsp. salt
- Mix the black olive tapenade with the oil to thin to drizzling consistency. Add more oil as necessary.
- Season the prawns with kosher salt and refrigerate until needed.
- Place the avocado oil in a shallow, wide pot. Add the garlic, Fresno chili, marjoram, and ginger to the oil. Place the oil on medium-low heat and slowly bring to 180 degrees. Remove from heat and let steep 30 min. to infuse the flavors.
- Strain the oil. Place the strained oil into a pan set over medium heat. Remove the prawns from the refrigerator. When the oil is hot, add the prawns and cook for 3 minutes, or until cooked through.
Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette:
- Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl.
California Avocado Endive Salad:
- Combine the sliced endive in a bowl with the Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette. Add the diced avocado and toss to combine.
Thyme Honey Almond Pesto:
- Pour the oil into a small bowl. Add the chopped thyme immediately to the oil to preserve the color. Add the remaining ingredients, stir to combine.
- Place 1 cup of the Avocado Endive Salad in the center of each plate. Stand 3 prawns in a circle around each salad. Drizzle about 1/3 cup of the Thyme-Honey Almond Pesto around each salad. Drizzle about 1 oz. of the black olive tapenade mixture around each plate. Serve.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados