California Avocado Flatbread
|10||Flatbreads (recipe follows)|
|Bacon-Garlic Cream Sauce (recipe follows)|
|10||oz.||mozzarella cheese, grated|
|10||Fresh California Avocados**|
|Flatbread (note: a premade 10"-12" flatbread may be substituted)|
|1||package active yeast|
|1 3/4||cups||all-purpose flour|
|1||Tbsp.||fresh thyme leaves|
|3/4||cup||water (add more, if needed)|
|Bacon-Garlic Cream Sauce (Yield: 10 oz. sauce)|
|3||oz.||bacon, small dice|
|2||oz.||sweet onion, small diced|
|1/8||tsp.||fresh ground black pepper|
|1 1/2||oz.||Romano cheese|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the yeast, sugar, flour, salt and thyme. Pulse to combine. Add the water in a steady stream until the dough begins to form a ball, then turn it on to a board and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Coat a bowl with oil. Place dough in bowl, and cover with a damp cloth. Put in a warm spot to rise until double in size, about 1 hour.
- When the dough has doubled in size, punch it down, scrape it out onto the counter, and knead it lightly into a smooth ball. Cut into 10 pieces and with a rolling pin roll out to form 10-12″ovals.
- Preheat a stove top grill pan over medium high. Do not oil. Place bread on hot grill and cook without touching until bubbles rise on the surface, about 1 to 2 minutes. Turn and continue to cook 1 to 2 minutes more or until bread has puffed up.
Bacon-Garlic Cream Sauce
- In a sauce pot on a medium-high burner, cook bacon until half done, then add onion and continue to cook until onion starts to caramelize.
- Add garlic and continue until garlic has roasted garlic scent, deglaze with white wine add black pepper and reduce by half.
- Add cream and reduce by almost 20%, or to a sauce-like consistency.
- Remove from heat, and pour into a to blender with Romano cheese, and pulse puree till almost smooth. Taste for salt and cool.
- For each flatbread use 1 flatbread, 1 oz. mozzarella, 1 oz. Bacon-Garlic Cream Sauce, 1 Fresh California Avocado cut into thin slices.
- Spread Bacon-Garlic Cream Sauce on grilled flatbread, almost to edge. Add mozzarella, then distribute Fresh California Avocado slices evenly across.
- On a baking sheet, heat in a 450° F oven until flatbread has a crispy bottom and the cheese is bubbling, approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
* Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger avocados, adjust the quantity accordingly.