Smoky Grilled Caesar Salad with California Avocado
|1||head Romaine, rinsed, bottom removed, and leaves cleaned|
|1||Fresh California Avocado*, peeled, pitted, cut into quarters|
|2||slices red onion, sliced 1/4" thick|
|1||cup||fresh croutons, toasted|
|1/2||cup||shaved Romano cheese|
|4||oz.||Caesar salad dressing|
|4||tsp.||white balsamic vinegar|
|As needed||Extra virgin olive oil or grapeseed oil|
|As needed||Salt and pepper to taste|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Heat a grill to medium-high heat and brush the grill grate with oil.
- Brush the romaine leaves lightly with oil, then place on grill, turning once. Remove when leaves have grill markings. Add the avocado pieces and onion slices to the grill for about 2 minutes, or until grill markings appear. Do not turn. Remove from grill.
- Tear or cut romaine leaves into bite size pieces, and divide onto 4 plates. Separate the grilled onion slices into rings. Divide the onion rings among the 4 plates. Add a quarter avocado to each plate.
- Top each salad with two tablespoons of shaved Romano cheese, ¼ cup of fresh croutons, and a light drizzle of the Caesar dressing.
- Drizzle each plate with a teaspoon of white balsamic vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.