Warm your soul and fill your belly with this California Avocado soup topped with chicken and cilantro.
California Avocado Soup
|2||large onions, quartered|
|3||stalks celery with leaves, very roughly chopped|
|4||carrots, peeled and sliced into large chunks|
|1||head garlic, broken into individual cloves and smashed|
|1||fresh serrano chile, sliced|
|3||large dried pasilla peppers|
|1||Tbsp.||kosher salt, plus more to taste|
|2||tsp.||whole black peppercorns|
|2||whole cumin seeds|
|3||large bay leaves|
|1||small bunch fresh cilantro, a few stems reserved for garnish|
|1||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, peeled and seeded|
|1||large lemon, juiced|
|6||cups||water (more might need to be added during the stock making process)|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- In a large stockpot (about 16 quarts), combine all the ingredients except the avocado and lemon juice. Cook partially covered for about 2 hours at a simmer, skimming the froth at the beginning.
- Strain the stock, remove the chicken meat from the bone and shred. Reserve both.
- Place the avocado flesh and the lemon juice in a blender and purée with enough of the strained stock to achieve the desired consistency. Season to taste with salt.
- Place puréed soup in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until hot, but not to a boil.
- Ladle into shallow serving bowls, top with some shredded chicken meat and garnish with fresh cilantro.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
© 2011 Chef Dave Lieberman