Warm your soul and fill your belly with this California Avocado soup topped with chicken and cilantro.
California Avocado Soup
Total Time: 4 h
Prep Time: |
Ingredients2 chicken thighs 2 large onions, quartered 3 stalks celery with leaves, very roughly chopped 4 carrots, peeled and sliced into large chunks 1 head garlic, broken into individual cloves and smashed 1 fresh serrano chile, sliced 3 large dried pasilla peppers 1 Tbsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste 2 tsp. whole black peppercorns 2 whole cumin seeds 1 tsp. coriander seed 3 large bay leaves 1 small bunch fresh cilantro, a few stems reserved for garnish 1 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, peeled and seeded 1 large lemon, juiced 6 cups water (more might need to be added during the stock making process)
- In a large stockpot (about 16 quarts), combine all the ingredients except the avocado and lemon juice. Cook partially covered for about 2 hours at a simmer, skimming the froth at the beginning.
- Strain the stock, remove the chicken meat from the bone and shred. Reserve both.
- Place the avocado flesh and the lemon juice in a blender and purée with enough of the strained stock to achieve the desired consistency. Season to taste with salt.
- Place puréed soup in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until hot, but not to a boil.
- Ladle into shallow serving bowls, top with some shredded chicken meat and garnish with fresh cilantro.
© 2011 Chef Dave Lieberman
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Did You Know?
As a whole fresh fruit, California Avocados are a gluten-free alternative for ingredients containing gluten. Learn more about avocado nutrition.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados