This easy flourless skillet brownie is rich, fudgy, and decadent but it’s made with lots of good-for-you-ingredients. Avocado provides healthy fats, and black beans add fiber – but no one will know they’re there because all they’ll taste is delicious dark chocolate. Serve topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and cold milk to drink.
Easy Flourless Skillet Brownie
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|3/4||cup||unsalted black beans (about half 15-oz.can), drained and rinsed very well|
|1||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled and diced|
|1/4||cup||unsweetened cocoa powder|
|1||tsp.||instant coffee mixed with 2 tablespoons water (or 2 tablespoons coffee)|
|1/3||cup||milk chocolate chips*|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C) and set the rack to the middle position. Grease a small 6-8” skillet (cast iron is great).
- Combine all of the ingredients except for the chocolate chips in a blender and blend for about 1 minute or until smooth. Scrape down the sides as needed. The mixture should look like pudding. Alternatively, you can use a food processor, but you may need to scrape it down more frequently.
- Pour the batter into the prepared skillet.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the batter and with a spatula gently swirl them into the batter.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out mostly clean. You may need to insert the toothpick into a few spots in the event you land in a melted chocolate chip.
- Let cool for 30 minutes before serving.
Serving Suggestion: If desired, top the warm brownie with ice cream.
Beverage Pairing: cold milk.
Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Vitamin A 57 mcg; Vitamin C 5 mg; Calcium 101 mg; Iron 3 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 54 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.09 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%; Vitamin C 6%; Calcium 8%; Iron 15 %; Vitamin D 0%