This easy flourless skillet brownie is rich, fudgy, and decadent but it’s made with lots of good-for-you-ingredients. Avocado provides healthy fats, and black beans add fiber – but no one will know they’re there because all they’ll taste is delicious dark chocolate. Serve topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and cold milk to drink.
Easy Flourless Skillet Brownie
Total Time: 40 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 57 mcg; Vitamin C 5 mg; Calcium 101 mg; Iron 3 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 54 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.09 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%; Vitamin C 6%; Calcium 8%; Iron 15 %; Vitamin D 0%
Ingredients3/4 cup unsalted black beans (about half 15-oz.can), drained and rinsed very well 2 large eggs 1 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled and diced 1/2 cup sugar 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 1 tsp. instant coffee mixed with 2 tablespoons water (or 2 tablespoons coffee) 1/2 tsp. baking powder 1 tsp. vanilla 1/3 cup milk chocolate chips*
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C) and set the rack to the middle position. Grease a small 6-8” skillet (cast iron is great).
- Combine all of the ingredients except for the chocolate chips in a blender and blend for about 1 minute or until smooth. Scrape down the sides as needed. The mixture should look like pudding. Alternatively, you can use a food processor, but you may need to scrape it down more frequently.
- Pour the batter into the prepared skillet.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the batter and with a spatula gently swirl them into the batter.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out mostly clean. You may need to insert the toothpick into a few spots in the event you land in a melted chocolate chip.
- Let cool for 30 minutes before serving.
Serving Suggestion: If desired, top the warm brownie with ice cream.
Beverage Pairing: cold milk.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados