If you’re looking for something fresh and light, try out this avocado noodle salad. You’ll find yourself making it well into the summer and beyond.
California Avocado Spring Roll Noodle Salad
|1||(8.8-oz.) package thin rice noodles (I like Thai Kitchen brand)|
|As needed||Peanut Sauce (see make-ahead recipe below)|
|12||oz.||steamed, chilled shrimp, deveined and shelled|
|1||medium carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks|
|1||cucumber, peeled, seeds removed and cut into matchsticks|
|1||red bell pepper, seeds and membranes removed, and cut into matchsticks|
|2||ripe Fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled and cut into slices|
|1||bunch||fresh basil (about .5 oz.), cut into chiffonade (thin ribbons)|
|4||sprigs fresh mint (about .25 oz.), leaves removed and roughly chopped|
|Peanut Sauce Ingredients|
|3||cloves garlic, finely minced or crushed|
|1||Tbsp.||grated fresh ginger|
|1/3||cup||Thai sweet chili sauce|
|1/3||cup||creamy peanut butter|
|2||Tbsp.||red miso paste|
|2||tsp.||toasted sesame oil|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Make the noodles according to the package directions, then drain them thoroughly. Put the drained noodles in a bowl of cold water to chill for about 5 minutes while you prep the other ingredients.
- Drain the noodles and toss with 1 cup of the peanut sauce and set them aside while you finish prepping the other ingredients.
- Toss the noodles with the shrimp, carrot, cucumber and red bell pepper.
- Divide the noodles between 4 shallow bowls or plates, then top each with equal amounts of avocado slices.
- Drizzle each serving of noodles with 2 to 3 tablespoons of the remaining peanut sauce, then sprinkle with the fresh basil and mint.
- Serve immediately.
Peanut Sauce Directions
- Heat the grapeseed oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. When the oil is just starting to get hot (the surface of the oil will start to shimmer), add the garlic and ginger and sauté for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add the sweet chili sauce, creamy peanut butter, red miso paste, honey, toasted sesame oil and rice vinegar and whisk until smooth.
- Slowly whisk in the warm water.
- Continue whisking the sauce over medium-low heat. When the sauce comes to a simmer (small bubbles will start to rise to the surface), remove the saucepan from the heat and let it cool.