American Kobe Flank Steak Sandwich, Grilled Sourdough, Pickled Onions, and California Avocado-Heirlo
Ingredients1 - 2 lb. Wagyu flank steak 1 - 1 lb. loaf sourdough bread, sliced As needed Avocado-Heirloom Tomato Salsa (recipe follows) As needed Pickled Onions (recipe follows) As needed Jalapeño Mayonnaise (recipe follows) As needed California Avocado-Heirloom Tomato Salsa (Yield: 4-1/2 cups) 3 each large Fresh California Avocados*, small dice (20 oz.) 3 heirloom tomatoes, small dice (24 oz.) 1/2 oz. cilantro, minced 1 Tbsp. olive oil 1 oz. lime juice As needed salt & pepper to taste Pickled Onions (Yield: 4 cups) 2 large red onions, julienned (17 oz.) 8 oz. water 6 oz. red wine vinegar 10 peppercorns 3 Tbsp. sugar 2 tsp. salt Jalapeño Mayonnaise (Yield: 1-1/2 cups) 2 jalapeños (2 oz.) 1 1/2 oz. egg yolks (3 yolks) 8 oz. canola oil 1 garlic clove 1 oz. lime juice As needed salt & pepper to taste
California Avocado-Heirloom Tomato Salsa
- Combine all ingredients together in a bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bring vinegar, water, salt and pepper to a boil in a medium pot. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 20 minutes.
- Place julienned onions in a large bowl. Pour the hot pickling liquid over onions and place in refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Once onions are ready to use, remove from liquid and toss onions in sugar to reduce acidity.
- Cut jalapeños in half and roast on a hot grill. (Seeds may be removed if a less spicy mayonnaise is desired.) Once jalapeños are roasted, set aside.
- In a food processor, add the egg yolks, roasted jalapeños, and garlic clove. Process on high until the yolks become thick. Very slowly, add the canola oil to emulsify the mayonnaise. Add the lime juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat a grill to medium-high heat. Season the flank steak with salt and pepper. Cook meat on the grill to desired temperature (5-7 minutes on each side for medium-rare). Once meat is cooked, remove from grill and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Slice thin against the grain.
- Place the sliced sourdough bread on a grill to toast, being careful not to burn. Set aside.
- Spread Jalapeño Mayonnaise on bread. Place sliced meat on top, top with the Pickled Onions and the Avocado-Heirloom Tomato Salsa. Serve.
* A large Fresh California Avocado weighs about 8 oz.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados